• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

proper grammar, like ..

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

proper grammar, like ..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6309411.stm

Celebrity Big Brother was also bested by BBC One drama Waking the Dead, which reached an average audience of 6.7 million.

From the beeb... is this expression "new and happening" ?

'Bested' is a perfectly proper word, and as far as I can see, was used in a proper context.

I give you this present of a dictionary

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

I thought it was the term given to Miss World winners in the early 70's after meeting up with a certain Northern Ireland footballer.

as in "Well I spent most of the night knocking her @rse off so I guess you could say she has been well and truly Bested"
      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by the guy with the bowtie
        http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6309411.stm

Celebrity Big Brother was also bested by BBC One drama Waking the Dead, which reached an average audience of 6.7 million.

From the beeb... is this expression "new and happening" ?
        Oxford Dictionary:

best
        - verb: informal outwit or defeat.

Compare with:

worst
        - verb: get the better of.

So Celebrity Big Brother was also worsted by the BBC One drama Waking the Dead.

Comment

Originally posted by expat
          So Celebrity Big Brother was also worsted by the BBC One drama Waking the Dead.
          So Waking the Dead turned Big Brother into cloth?

Comment

Working...
          X