• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Self Study / Home Kits (MCSE)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Self Study / Home Kits (MCSE)

Hi All,

I'm looking to start my MCSE 2003, think it's about time that I finally sat down and did it. I don't particularly want to get into the discussion on its value. IMHO I've done alright without it so far. But it gives me something to fall back on hopefully it will be of some use and I might actually learn something from doing it. (i.e. some SQL and more in-depth Exchange Stuff).

There have been a couple of roles in the past where my C.V has been rejected by agencies based purely on the fact that I don't have an MCSE. It's almost as if the certification was used as a filter. "Yes you have the relevant experience blah, blah, blah, but my client specifically specifies that anyone I put forward has to have the certification".

So to get past that filter and hopefully be able to apply for those roles with slightly better daily or hourly rates I think it's about time that I hit the books.

I've tried some of the sample Learnkey CD's but I think I need some form of classroom style folders or literature to help me absorb it better (after all the subject is fairly dull). Including that I need Lab exercises etc. and tips to pass the exams.

I'm currently thinking of getting these...
    http://www.microsoft.com/MSPress/books/6274.aspx
    Found them for approx £90. Does anybody else know of anything that would suit me better?

Does anybody have any opinions on the CompTIA + Certifications? Better to go with these or down the MCSE route?
    -------------
    Cactus

Why did you rate your own thread a 5 *?

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet
      Why did you rate your own thread a 5 *?
      That's just the kind of thing an MSCE (or potential MSCE) would do.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

download the CBT nuggets there whiteboard lectures and I found with the books worked out well so far.

Comment

Originally posted by mictech
          download the CBT nuggets there whiteboard lectures and I found with the books worked out well so far.
          English please!!!
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by Cactus
            ... but my client specifically specifies that anyone I put forward has to have the certification"....
            More agent lies.
            It is either some excuse for rejecting you on other grounds, or part of their marketing to the client such as "our contractors are the best, they all have MSxx".

Most client requirements are no better than the proverbial fag packet and that includes those that have gone through HR and are on the official forms. The exacting requirements are the agent’s attempts to match that poor specification as close and best they can. No considerations of the true requirements of the client or the ability of the candidate enter into this.

I'm glad that I am out of this silly game now.
            Drivel is my speciality

Comment

Are we the most impressionable people in the world?

I mention this thread was rated by the OP and then all the threads suddenly have ratings.

Comment

Originally posted by Cactus
                But it gives me something to fall back on hopefully it will be of some use and I might actually learn something from doing it. (i.e. some SQL and more in-depth Exchange Stuff).

Bricklaying and chippying is something to fall back on, not an MCSE...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

I mention this thread was rated by the OP and then all the threads suddenly have ratings.
                  There! See what you've done now?

I hope you're please with yourself!

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

you and your big mouth!!

bloody kids.
                    Call the cops

Comment

Working...
                    X