• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

redundancy rules!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

redundancy rules!

Just wanna know about redundancy rules

One of the permies has been "offered" redundancy and on the same day they are offering his same role on internal vacancy but in a junior role..

Can they make him redundant by down grading his job??
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SA - Is it like a dragons nostril?

Originally posted by kramer
    Just wanna know about redundancy rules

One of the permies has been "offered" redundancy and on the same day they are offering his same role on internal vacancy but in a junior role..

Can they make him redundant by down grading his job??
    The job is redundant, not the job holder...

Comment

so what you saying? if the role has been down graded is the role redundant cause its been redefined?

basically its cost cutting i guess... bu does it follow employment law?
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SA - Is it like a dragons nostril?

Comment

bu does it follow employment law?
        Doesn't sound like it does. Talk to acas.

Comment

"The job is redundant, not the job holder..."

Spot on. In this case the role is being given to a jnr mmber of staff, so technically the role still exists. Sounds like they just want shut of the more expensive guy - seems an odd way to do it though. Why not simply make his role so horrible that he would resign.
          Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish
            "The job is redundant, not the job holder..."

Spot on. In this case the role is being given to a jnr mmber of staff, so technically the role still exists. Sounds like they just want shut of the more expensive guy - seems an odd way to do it though. Why not simply make his role so horrible that he would resign.
            Says the boy from Rochdale, birthplace of the Co-Operative movement!!!

Classic!

Comment

so what you saying? if the role has been down graded is the role redundant cause its been redefined?
              Yes. If the need for that specific role (or one very similar to it) is no longer needed then they are made redundant.

By offering him a lower graded job they are trying to get out of paying redundancy. AFAIK as long as the role is commensuate (sp?) to the level of the person (i.e. not a £5k p.a. cleaner role for a cheif exec) then even if he doesnt accept then he cannot claim redundancy money as he was offered alternative work.

Comment

"Says the boy from Rochdale, birthplace of the Co-Operative movement!!!"

I moved here!

Just don't see why a company would pay him off whn they can give him such a dead end role that he would leave
                Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish
                  "Says the boy from Rochdale, birthplace of the Co-Operative movement!!!"

I moved here!

Just don't see why a company would pay him off whn they can give him such a dead end role that he would leave
                  Rochdale? You bastard! I support the Dons...

Comment

LOL - that was their biggest win of the season also. Up to now they have been the team which everybody likes to beat. Where are you these days Marc

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
                    X