• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

is there a "Sarbanes-Oxley Compliance" in UK ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is there a "Sarbanes-Oxley Compliance" in UK ?

Do you guys do a lot of dirty documentation work. We all know how much IT love that.

Is there an UK version of the US's "Sarbanes-Oxley Compliance".

One of my colleagues qiut his job in the US because they were making him document each server restart and each patch install. OMG

Consultancies peddle pedantic SO compliance its a big earner for them.

And there are a lot of pedants in consultancies masquerading as business analysts.

To be compliant with the law you have to do things in the 'spirit' of SO i.e transparency, accessability etc. but all the pedantic stuff will grind a business to a stop.

Comment

Originally posted by 2uk
      Do you guys do a lot of dirty documentation work. We all know how much IT love that.

Is there an UK version of the US's "Sarbanes-Oxley Compliance".

One of my colleagues qiut his job in the US because they were making him document each server restart and each patch install. OMG

All international companies which report to the US or have a branch in the US needs to be Sox compliant. All IBs and blue chip companies I worked for had Sox projects going on.

As you know there is a reporting elements to sox in order to provide evidense of a process done, hence I gather your documentation is part of that stuff to show auditors. Most places have designed an automated way of recording all IT related transactions including server restart and patch installs, its just good practice to do so ! after all how long does it take him to document '17:23:00 server restarted ' ? as for installing a new patch - why on earth would you want to install a patch without documenting what you did?? again, this only requires a standard form/document to fill in

Comment

SOX affects any company listed on the US stock exchanges or with a certain number of US investors. The regulation itself is a good thing, the way it translates into IT blows . . . a lot. There is a rumour that the EU will bring in similar but even stricter (allegedly) legislation in the next few years.

Comment

It's all a bunch of sh!te because the US is so litigious. There's no real benefit in it. Everyone is trying to cover their backs to stop getting sued. Luckily for us outside the US it means we can get on with doing while our friends over the atlantic are still documenting last week's work.
          Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Originally posted by Back In Business
            There is a rumour that the EU will bring in similar but even stricter (allegedly) legislation in the next few years.
            Whoooohooo, good news more projects and more work for us

I also heard there may be another version of Basil II, however am not sure if people are mixing MiFid with Basil !!

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob
              It's all a bunch of sh!te because the US is so litigious. There's no real benefit in it. Everyone is trying to cover their backs to stop getting sued. Luckily for us outside the US it means we can get on with doing while our friends over the atlantic are still documenting last week's work.

Who cares man? do you know the number of new projects that were going on in each listed company? do you know how much work such legislation can create for us contractors ! why do you guys always see the half empty glass?

More legislation == more Kerching !

Comment

Originally posted by Back In Business
                There is a rumour that the EU will bring in similar but even stricter (allegedly) legislation in the next few years.
                I heard the Frogs are pushing for it like mad, to try and scupper the British stock exchange.
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob
                  That is what I am talking about.

So currently there is no such a deamon in the EU. If We postpone this a bit , we might aswell overcome the US as a the First IT power. ( Provided that China disappears from the planet )

Comment

Sox doesn't suck

if you do it right, great way of getting a bit more organisation in IT and the rest of the business to respect security & process.

Any US owned/operated public company has to comply.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X