• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You Couldn't Make It Up 2 (tm)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You Couldn't Make It Up 2 (tm)

Stuff putting paedofiles in jail. Lets send peace campaigners to jail for not paying a £50.00 fine!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/humber/6312331.stm

Campaigner jailed amid prison row

A peace campaigning grandmother was jailed for not paying a £50 fine despite a controversy over prison overcrowding.

Lindis Percy, 64, served almost half of a seven-day sentence handed out by Harrogate magistrates on Friday.

Last week Home Secretary Dr John Reid wrote to judges asking them to imprison only the most dangerous offenders.

Mrs Percy, of Hull, was originally arrested last year at the Menwith Hill US base, North Yorkshire.

She was fined £50 for trespassing but refused to pay the penalty.

'Little bit mad'

Mrs Percy, who has been jailed several times before for demonstrating outside American bases, said: "I really do think it would have been more imaginative to think of a more creative resolution to this.

"It must have cost a tremendous amount of money.

"I can't help thinking there are people out there who are more deserving of being in prison.

"I think the world has gone a little bit mad."

She added that during her stay at Low Newton prison, in Co Durham, she had read three books and earned £1.83 by doing various tasks.

Mrs Percy has been arrested on dozens of occasions around the UK, including on the gates of Buckingham Palace in 2003.

She also confronted former US president George Bush about his son's foreign policy when he visited the Yorkshire Event Centre last year. Dr Reid defended his position last week and denied encouraging softer sentences for criminals to ease prison overcrowding. He said he was merely re-stating existing guidelines and serious offenders should still be locked up.
    Do you think people who pack the confectionary into boxes at fudge making factories tell people what they do for a living?

I would suggest some introductory book to common law, then you will see how the wilful non-payment of even a small fine is pretty much the worst thing you can do.

Do you know an awful lot of women in prison are there because of events starting from the non-payment of the TV license...
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Yeah but peados don't owe HMRC any money!!!!
      Johnny Talibani Mumbai

Comment

Working...
      X