• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Who's on your desk ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who's on your desk ?

I heard a really interesting commentary on the ws last night about why people might be arsed to put pictures of their kids etc around their desk. The woman's argument was basically it was a kind of trophy (look what I can produce), a way of keeping them close (when work is rubbish and you feel bad), or to say there is another side of you (massive portrait-style photos on the wall of MDs).

She concluded with saying we would not put pictures of our colleagues up at home, would we ? Which I think is a really good point. I don't and never would put pictures up of anyone I loved on my desk, although I have worked with men who's wives/girlfriends etc have supplied pictures for them to install....

(the only things on my desk at the moment are some raisins, clementines, eucalyptus pastilles and roobios chai tea bags)

I have tube of pile cream and picture of an Orangutan on my desk.

What does that say about me?

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy
      I heard a really interesting commentary on the ws last night about why people might be arsed to put pictures of their kids etc around their desk. The woman's argument was basically it was a kind of trophy (look what I can produce), a way of keeping them close (when work is rubbish and you feel bad), or to say there is another side of you (massive portrait-style photos on the wall of MDs).

She concluded with saying we would not put pictures of our colleagues up at home, would we ? Which I think is a really good point. I don't and never would put pictures up of anyone I loved on my desk, although I have worked with men who's wives/girlfriends etc have supplied pictures for them to install....

(the only things on my desk at the moment are some raisins, clementines, eucalyptus pastilles and roobios chai tea bags)
      That frightens me - the woman to my right has exactly the same things on her desk.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
        I have tube of pile cream and picture of an Orangutan on my desk.

What does that say about me?
        You are being done up the arse by monkeys (you're a permie aren't you ? )

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack
          That frightens me - the woman to my right has exactly the same things on her desk.
          hahaahh, no one sits to my left !!!

Comment

hahaahh, no one sits to my left !!!
            Phew...

Comment

Project Plans, laptop, Two monitors, USB Keyboard, NIOS II development kit, numerous Compact Flash devices, project log-book, a PACE Technology plc CI mug, A large Eeyore Mug full of coffee, car keys, bug reports, Diary, mobile phone. Desk top phone, Protective goggles (2 pairs, laser and chemical), 3 pens(all black), 1 pencil, numerous back-up DVDs, a Dymo Labelpoint 350 label maker, 3 circuit boards(1 red, 1 blue, 1 green), a USB mouse (optical), a dell Mouse pad, 3 post-it pads, numerous post-it notes, 2 wipe board markers(1 black, 1 blue), 2 USB keys(1x128mb, 1x512mb), Boxed set of Farnell catalogues, boxed set of the "multi" development manuals for the 68000/Coldfire processor, a set of ThreadX manuals, my swiss-army knife and my Freemasonry folder.

Churchill - In "A tidy desk is the sign of a sick mind" mode!

Comment

even my desktop wall paper is the default that came with the PC.

My desk contains 3 reference books, 2 full note books, 1 in use notebook and a spare notebook (just in case) and a few pens

and a coffee mug
                Coffee's for closers

Comment

You are being done up the arse by monkeys (you're a permie aren't you ? )
                  How dare you madam!

I am a Contractor and a Gentleman and CUK Forum Personality of the year 2006!

Comment

Monitor, keyboard, phone and a cup...sometimes with coffee.
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                    X