PDA

View Full Version : New morality

John Galt
30th January 2007, 12:57
Catholic adoption agencies likely to close (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6312395.stm)

This debate has been on and off the news for a while now and, I have to say, I totally disagree with Bliar (not unusual admittedly). The Catholic church should not be dictated to by the Government. Over to the panel

shaunbhoy
30th January 2007, 13:01
It means Catholic adoption agencies would be forced to consider gay people as prospective parents - currently they are referred to other agencies

I am such a naturally conciliatory b@stard that I have unearthed a compromise. Catholic Adoption Agencies should "consider" gay couples, then tell them "on this occasion your application has been unsuccessful, good luck with your search elsewhere you freakshows!"
Sorted!
:banana:

AtW
30th January 2007, 13:13
The Catholic church should not be dictated to by the Government.

It is much worse when the Catholic church, or any church for that matter dictates the Govt to do things that fit their own views: this may have been acceptable in the dark ages, but this is 21st century: to shut these people up the Govt should have put money to ensure that every child either gets adopted into good family or gets lots of support from Govt to ensure they make it on their own.

ZZZZ Snoozer
30th January 2007, 13:15
Catholic adoption agencies likely to close (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6312395.stm)

This debate has been on and off the news for a while now and, I have to say, I totally disagree with Bliar (not unusual admittedly). The Catholic church should not be dictated to by the Government. Over to the panel

Maybe the RC Church will stop telling its followers to vote Labour, this could be interesting...

expat
30th January 2007, 13:58

This debate has been on and off the news for a while now and, I have to say, I totally disagree with Bliar (not unusual admittedly). The Catholic church should not be dictated to by the Government. Over to the panelWhat, pray, is the difference between "being dictated to by the Government" and "being subject to the laws of the land"? Would it by chance be in the eye of the beholder?

wendigo100
30th January 2007, 13:59
Maybe the RC Church will stop telling its followers to vote Labour, this could be interesting...Are there any Catholics in Labour strongholds, like Liverpool and Scotland?

Spacecadet
30th January 2007, 14:04

Its not as if the catholic church has a monopoly on adoption agencies, gay couples should (and do) have the option to go to any agency.

vetran
Homosexual adoption was controversial, some transition period would have been sensible so church based adoption agencies could be absorbed into state ones.

The RC church are hardly my favourite religous nutters but they do have a right to their opinion, or do we only respect people that stone the faithful?

Good point SC!

Fishface
I think (not sure) prospective couples have to married in a catholic church as one of the prerequisits.

I don't think the gays can do that yet - I'll ask the Pope.

wendigo100
30th January 2007, 14:06
I think (not sure) prospective couples have to married in a catholic church as one of the prerequisits.

I don't think the gays can do that yet - I'll ask the Pope.He's out to a sauerkraut lunch at the moment.

ZZZZ Snoozer
30th January 2007, 14:06
Are there any Catholics in Labour strongholds, like Liverpool and Scotland?

Was that a rhetorical question? There are shedloads in Scotland, anyway.

wendigo100
30th January 2007, 14:10
What, pray, is the difference between "being dictated to by the Government" and "being subject to the laws of the land"? Would it by chance be in the eye of the beholder?I think the point is that it isn't the law of the land, but the government want to make it so.

It's the old conundrum about democracy, isn't it - in extremis, 51% can vote to have the other 49% put to death.

Numptycorner
30th January 2007, 14:12
I fail to see how the Catholic church can get all moralistic about this, when it has a problem with it's own Priests buggering children. At least the gays don't want them for sex games.

wendigo100
30th January 2007, 14:16
I fail to see how the Catholic church can get all moralistic about this, when it has a problem with it's own Priests buggering children. At least the gays don't want them for sex games.That might make a fun thread, but it is no more relevant to this argument than paedophile teachers being representative of the whole education establishment.

Spacecadet
30th January 2007, 14:20
This doesn't just effect Catholic adoption agencys

There was a debate on radio 4 a couple of months ago as all businesses are required to give equal rights to Gay couples. Not a problem for big companies but some small family run bed and breakfasts weren't too happy that they were effectively being forced into condoning something that they personally don't agree with.

SallyAnne
30th January 2007, 14:23
I think the government and the laws of this land should outweight ANY religious institution.

Law comes first, religion comes second (preferably a a hobby based passtime).

SallyAnne
31st January 2007, 12:52
I've changed my mind slightly.

After watching the Omen last night, I now dont think the Catholic Church should be allowed to be involved in ANY adoption.

:eek:

wendigo100
31st January 2007, 13:04
Was that a rhetorical question? There are shedloads in Scotland, anyway.Rhetorical, yes. They are Labour strongholds, and Catholic strongholds too.

DodgyAgent
31st January 2007, 13:20
Interesting that no one including you lot have looked at this from the point of view of the children. If the choice is between being in or out of care/foster homes and having a stable upbringing with a pair of pooftas then what? It is all very well AtW thinking that you can just chuck money at the problem (obviously has no children of his own) but there is a little bit more to adoption than one may think.