• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

finance question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

finance question

Whats the difference between an investment bank and an asset management company?

Older and ...well, just older!!

Originally posted by ratewhore
    Whats the difference between an investment bank and an asset management company?

My understanding is that an Investment Bank will (among the many other things it might do) trade and invest on its own account to make a profit.

Whereas an asset management company invests other people's money and makes its money by charging a percentage of the amount that it looks after.

Either way they do similar things although the investment bank can do more interesting things when it is its own money being invested. There are whole heaps of rules on what the asset management company can do with other people's money.

I am sure other people can come up with more insightful descriptions though.

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore

Ummm .... about £250 a day??
      +50 Xeno Geek Points
      Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
      As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

You will hear the terms buy side and sell side. An Asset Manager is on the buy side. i.e. it acquires (and disposes of ) assets for fund such as your pension or savings plan. An Investment bank is on the sell side i.e. it is involved in the transfer of asset or bringing them to market. It goes a lot deeper than that though.
        Drivel is my speciality

Comment

Working...
        X