• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

E85 fuel: a missed opportunity?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E85 fuel: a missed opportunity?

Turned up at a new Morrisons last night, expecting to see an attractive pump price for the E85 bio-ethanol juice. Methought innocently, yes the government will get right behind this opportunity to encourage the prols into using sustainable resources. So 95RON unleaded is 83.9p. E85 is 81.9p. WHHAATT??

If govt tax represents around 70% of the pump price, why can’t it make a leap of imagination and pass back say 50% to the consumer. That would get me into a dual-fuel vehicle. Christ, the Swedes are doing it (IIRC the govt there has subsidised E85), and they will be on track to move a significant proportion of drivers into dual-fuel cars by 2010. Even if the govt subsidised E85 for the first few years, it would be something. But noooo..

Why has our government allowed this? Why does it push the phoney concept of carbon-offsetting? Why does it fail to lead from the front, instead pushing the responsibility down to the prols, hitting us with road charges and such like? And all the time Phoney Tony takes his long-haul holidays, which is not a prob ‘cos he’s one person in a nation of 65mn which produces 2% of global carbon emissions.

I hate this govt. E85 was a golden opportunity to bring in an interim sustainable fuel before the fuel cell becomes viable. Instead the govt has killed the demand. They should be sacked.
    "My God, it's huge!!"

28.35p /litre + VAT tax on bio fuel 20p less than non renewables, so Morrisons may be making a few quid.

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsP...E_PROD1_024961

Also look which big Oil companies pay political contributions and would probably refuse to sell to Morrisons etc if they are seriously undercut by bio fuels on teh forecourt.

Green taxes are not about green issues they are about filling GB's black hole (actually Black Canyon).
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran
      Green taxes are not about green issues they are about filling GB's black hole (actually Black Canyon).
      I'd like to fill his canyon with poisonous sea-urchins, the b*stard.

Joy and peace to all.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
        Those nasty prickly ones with the long spines?
        Oh absolutely. And a few hundred Lionfish to boot. Perhaps we can stuff an entire Portuguese Man O'War down his gaping maw, too, the repugnant little sh*t.

Hmm... pills must be wearing off...
        Last edited by realityhack; 31 January 2007, 14:51.

Comment

I believe Vetren hit the nail on the head here. If the Government subsidised this fuel then that would fly in the face of everything they have ever done (ie. continuously increased taxes).

You and I both know the Government would NEVER subsidised this fuel simply because there is nothing in it for them to do that.

Mailman

Comment

If the government make green fuels cheap, everyone will buy them and the cost of motoring would go down, therefore people would drive more and damage the environment more.

HTH

El Gordo.

Comment

Originally posted by Swamp Thing
              Why has our government allowed this?
              Because they're a bunch of incompetent fucktards. I'm surprised you even asked...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

I was thinking more of this

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/3617727.stm

driven by enviromentally friendly diesel & hang the cost.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                X