• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Multimedia players - Ipod Video/Creative/Archos

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multimedia players - Ipod Video/Creative/Archos

My trusty 4 year old 123Mb MP3 player died the other day, it was indeed a sad event.

Anyway, I'm now looking at getting a new MP3/Video player, and seeing how I somehow completely missed the ipod era, I'm somewhat lost as to their capabilities.

Have you got one of these multimedia players, like the ipod video, or the archos 404 etc.?

I want to know how easy they are to use, especially in being able to download and watch programs or movies. For example, could I download a MPEG or AVI encoded movie and watch it on the IPod or on the Archos?

When I was looking a while ago I wanted the Creative Zen M - more compatible with movie formats, but at the time it was about £30 more expensive than the ipod. Nowadays you can get good deals on the Creative so I would be inclinded to go for one of them.

Saying that, now I have taken the time to sit down and use itunes it's great. Also found that a little plug-in in Firefox allows you to download from Youtube and I have another freebie to convert to ipod formt (mp4).

As regards to sound quality on the ipod - with a decent pair of headphones - fantastic !

Comment

Creative Zen M ALL THE FOOKIN WAY, it is brill dload plays most formats out there nevers had any probs watching on it

Comment

I found the ipod screen to be too small but I'll take a look at the Creative. The archos 604 sounds very very good tho at this stage.

Comment

OK its settled, the Archos 604 Wi-Fi is the one, big differentiating advantage of course being the Wi-Fi!

Comment

Make sure you get one that connects as a standard USB device. The Creatives don't as far as I know which means you're tied down to using the proprietary drivers with it.

You never know, in a couple of years you might end up wanting a Mac or wanting to run Linux, or whatever else has come out by then, and that means you'll be looking for another player.
            Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob
              Make sure you get one that connects as a standard USB device. The Creatives don't as far as I know which means you're tied down to using the proprietary drivers with it.

You never know, in a couple of years you might end up wanting a Mac or wanting to run Linux, or whatever else has come out by then, and that means you'll be looking for another player.
              good shout! I've found this to be a problem with my Creative player.
              SA says;
              Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
              (whatever these are)

Comment

CowBob ur right, I did check for this and indeed the archos does connect as an external HDD via USB. I think most of the new ones do now.

Comment

Working...
                X