• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What's in return for NIC?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's in return for NIC?

What would I get in return for this contributions. I am not an UK resident, so long long should I pay to qualify for anything, if at all will I qualify.

Jarek

the health service ? state pension, etc.

In truth however all taxes of any kind in any country are just part of the cost of being in that country. Dont like it ? try Monaco.

Comment

But if I stay only a limited time in UK, say 6 months.. paying NI on 6K salary - should I assume that this money is lost? How long should I work in the UK to qualify for some kind of pension. I am not asking about health service as this is just a joke...hehe... or probably as bad as in any other country if you don't have a private insurance.

Jarek

Comment

If you are only staying here for 6 months just take the money and dont pay any taxes.

Dont expect to come back though when you leave :rollin

They should roll NI in to the main tax (thus bumping it up to the real 40% level that most people are paying) however the poms are stupid and as long as income tax and NI are kept seperate no one will bleat about it :rollin

However...the minute you lump them in together watch for the same reactions as there were during Thatchers attempt at introducing the poll tax!

And you people call Americans dumb :rollin

Mailman

Comment

well no, it is not a joke - OK it has its faults and some of it is crap but if you get ill / have an accident and end up in A&E, you'll be grateful for what it brings you.

If you stay less than a year, you may be able to get your pension contributions back (minus tax) - but not the whole NIC, only the pension component (not sure what the % is)

When you get your NI number, ask them

Comment

well no, it is not a joke - OK it has its faults and some of it is crap but if you get ill / have an accident and end up in A&E, you'll be grateful for what it brings you.
            You get lovely things like the super bug on the NHS :rollin

Its absolute folly that things that should be paid through your normal tax (health, police, health, police ad nuseum) are paid through en extra tax on top of your income tax.

The sooner the English wake up and see the fact they are being taken for a ride the sooner things will change for the better.

Mailman

Comment

If you are resident in another EU country you should be able to avoid UK NIC altogether, although you will have to be paying in that other EU country.

Suggest you talk to the DWP.

Comment

They should change the system so that it recognises private medical and pension arrangements so that you dont have to pay NI.

If you have at least 2 properties these should be considered part of your retirement fund...thus meaning you can avoid paying in to some government or company black hole only to have your hard earned savings syphoned off by the government of lost as the company goes in to receivership.

However...seeing as this is an extra income stream for her majesties government this will never happen.

Mailman

Comment

Working...
                X