• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sun Certification

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sun Certification

Anybody here done Sun Certifications?

Been working in Java for 18 months now and looking to stay doing that and was wondering if having the certifications carries any weight?

Or is it like having an MCSE?
    There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think

do any companies run sun hardware these days, sun seem to be really low profile these days, shame really, all projects seem to be on hp or ibm hardware, sun's missed opportunities, they seem to have become a niche supplier to eccentric IT managers running small operations, just my few pence worth

Milan.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks Milan

I am more interested in obtaining the qualifications for Java Application Development.

In London there appears to be a large, well paid and steady demand for Java skills and was wondering if having these certs would increase career prospects
      There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think

Comment

ahh
        forget that java nonsense

you need to get into .NOT and the only certificate you
        need is the MSDN certification

hth

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by sunnysan
          Thanks Milan

I am more interested in obtaining the qualifications for Java Application Development.

In London there appears to be a large, well paid and steady demand for Java skills and was wondering if having these certs would increase career prospects
          Given the complete disregard for titles in the UK I doubt it will be of any value. However, the java cert is one of the good ones outside, if not for them, do it for you. I did it after 3 years I had been working as a java developers and it made me realise how much I overlooked in the whole 3 years.

What matters for career prospects in the eyes of UK employers: the last 6 months of work experience and if you have a high degree of personality disorder.
          I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by sunnysan
            Or is it like having an MCSE?
            Yep. I'm a senior level Java architect/developer and so far in my career I've met exactly 2 people who owned up to being Sun certified. Both were sh!te.
            Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob
              Yep. I'm a senior level Java architect/developer and so far in my career I've met exactly 2 people who owned up to being Sun certified. Both were sh!te.
              I have met about 10 people who were certified and they were all excellent. I have also met a drunken austrian tourist in London, therefore all austrian are drunken tourists.
              I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

seems in general the people who get certified are the ones who don't have the solid experience and they hope that certs will cover the inadequacies of their lack of solid experience

Milan.

Comment

seems in general the people who didn't get certified are the ones who don't have the solid experience and they hope that by saying certs are useless to cover the inadequacies of their lack of solid experience

Comment

Originally posted by Francko
                    seems in general the people who didn't get certified are the ones who don't have the solid experience and they hope that by saying certs are useless to cover the inadequacies of their lack of solid experience
                    Spot the certified person desperately trying to justify the cash he placed down to get it
                    Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Working...
                    X