• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

About Gordon's increase in air tax

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About Gordon's increase in air tax

Apparently it is retrospective, so if you have already bought a ticket, you will be asked for more tax before being allowed to fly.

Gordon is playing the environment card, but how is the retrospective aspect of the tax helping to deter people from flying?

C***!

Just needed to get that off my chest.

Tax has only one objective. To raise money for the government to waste.

That one insight answers all questions on taxation.

HTH

Comment

How, exactly can it be legal?

The queen didn't impose this tax on us, parliament didn't vote on it. So why is anyone agreeing to pay it?

Probably wrong forum to ask on, but aren't we supposed to pretend that England has some vestige of democracy?

Comment

Originally posted by hugebrain
        The queen didn't impose this tax on us, parliament didn't vote on it. So why is anyone agreeing to pay it?

Probably wrong forum to ask on, but aren't we supposed to pretend that England has some vestige of democracy?
        A question raised this morning on Radio 4. The finance bill containing the tax hike hasn't gone before the house yet so technically if it were overturned the tax would have to be refunded.

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
          Apparently it is retrospective, so if you have already bought a ticket, you will be asked for more tax before being allowed to fly.

Gordon is playing the environment card, but how is the retrospective aspect of the tax helping to deter people from flying?

C***!

Just needed to get that off my chest.
          Technically I suppose it's on the flight and not on the ticket: so it's a bit sudden but not retroactive.

OTOH if you have bought a cheap ticket that can't be cancelled, then even if you don't fly, the tax is not refunded. But will Ryanair actually come knocking on your door for the tax hike for the flight you're not taking?

Comment

Yes, but have you all noticed how much cleaner the air is today.

Comment

Tax doesn't have to be taxing...

I'd love to stab the fecker who dreamt that one up!

Comment

Originally posted by hugebrain

I will be flying to the US in March, and will have to pay 4x£20 in extra tax (apparently it will be collected in the check-in queue). If I don't pay it, I presume I will not be allowed to fly.

Comment

Out of interest, it's not a tax on passengers, it's a tax on the airline. They ain't paying it though, they're passing it on to us, the consumer, just in case it is passed by Parliament and they have to cough up. Of course if it isn't passed, they won't have to pay it, and you may get your money back eventually.

Now what's the interest on £100m for three months...
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Do you think it would be OK to retrospectively put up my rate?
                    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Working...
                    X