• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Any sailors?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any sailors?

Anyone on here a qualified sailor? Are the RYA sailing courses any good or would private tuition be the route to go down? My only experience is 2 weeks in a flotilla in Greece when I was about 12, I wouldn't mind doing the same sometime soon and getting into this nautical malarkey with a view to selling up and sailing the world in my retirement! ...Everyone needs dreams!
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

When you own a boat, you experience two days of great joy. The day you buy it and the day you sell it.

Chartering is the way to go.

Comment

The old man is a RYA Instructor, I've sailed since I was 5. The courses are good but like private tuition depends on the person/people teaching. Best bet is to get down a sailing club and ask them for who is good and local at teaching.

Comment

a boat is a hole in the water you throw money into

that said, here's a test question for you wannabee sailors
        out there:

What do you have when you see a white light followed
        by a red light and the occasional ring of a bell ?

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes

Milan.
          A rare vision and hearing disorder brought about by too much wanking?

Comment

Have a look at the RYA website.

Comment

I have and there are sailing courses in Bristol docks which is quite local to me so I just wanted to know how good these courses were, also anyone been on one of these holidays? http://www.sunsail.co.uk/clubs?gglbrand This might be the ideal solution to learn and keep the wife happy, and certainly beats the docks in February!
              Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi
                I have and there are sailing courses in Bristol docks which is quite local to me so I just wanted to know how good these courses were, also anyone been on one of these holidays? http://www.sunsail.co.uk/clubs?gglbrand This might be the ideal solution to learn and keep the wife happy, and certainly beats the docks in February!
                Sunsail are pretty good. However in my oppinion if you've got the time and money have a chat with the guy who runs this outfit... http://www.canarysail.com/

I personally recommend them.

Comment

to you budding sailors....

and the answer is....

a bicycle

just make sure you don't get it wrapped round your prop.

I once saw somebody who had a tyre round there prop,
                  very unfortunate

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes
                    to you budding sailors....

and the answer is....

a bicycle

just make sure you don't get it wrapped round your prop.

I once saw somebody who had a tyre round there prop,
                    very unfortunate

Milan.
                    I had a rope for a lobster pot wrapped round one of mine. Luckily no damage to engine or prop - can't say the same for the occupant of the lobster pot... Spoils of the sea and all that...

Comment

Working...
                    X