• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BBC are outsourcing to India

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBC are outsourcing to India

I Didn't know that

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6289521.stm

Dull story about Reuters outsourcing to India and how great it is....

Blah...

And the BBC too

And it is not just newspapers that are taking advantage of the cost savings of outsourcing to India.

The BBC recently announced that it would save £20m by outsourcing its payroll and expenses services to Xansa, based in Madras, India, although customer support would still be based in the UK.

Savings will go towards the BBC's target of releasing £355m of savings to invest in programmes and services.

"The BBC is taking advantage of the significant savings of globalisation while maintaining the benefits of more local customer support," the corporation said.

Next, year, Eastenders will move to Bollywood.

I was talking with one of my software suppliers in the US last week about outsourcing and marketing and he said that they had used the “we don’t outsource” line and it got a very favourable response. He also said that an increasing number of companies are seeing the amount of outsourcing to cheap overseas locations of crucial business functions a supplier has as being a risk factor.

I have thought for ages that outsourcing of crucial business functions to locations like India is an unacceptable risk. It will be a major corporate scandal in years to come.
    Drivel is my speciality

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
      The BBC recently announced that it would save £20m by outsourcing its payroll and expenses services to Xansa, based in Madras, India, although customer support would still be based in the UK.

Xansa, shudder.

Comment

The BBC recently announced that it would save £20m by outsourcing its payroll and expenses services to Xansa, based in Madras, India.
        I'd feel they had more control over it if they even knew the proper name of the city where Xansa is based!

Comment

Yes it's not Madras, It's Vindaloo.

HTH

Comment

Witness the increasing number of adverts that now state 'UK call centres'...

Who knows, eventually that backlash might spread to other sectors.

What we need are a few more high profile identiy theft scandals - only a matter of time.
            Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Oi Frank! Pabinder! Peggy!

Comment

As of yesterday my contract was "novated" from my UK client to HCL. We were sent a welcome email, complete with a link to the in-house website

The server was down.

Today, there second day managing our network, it crashed - for two hours (previous longest outage in the last 14 months - 12 minutes)

Quality stuff
                Life is just nature's way of keeping meat fresh

Comment

Yes, one of my major clients outsourced their finance team out to Mumbai. I never got any of my invoices paid for 8 months and was right down in the pecking order, along with big companies such as TNT etc

As a result of this, I managed to secure a 50% first stage up front payment on all subsequent contracts now which is quite good - even if I have to wait a few months for it.
                  If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Working...
                  X