• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Economics of Car Ownership

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Economics of Car Ownership

car will need replacing soon

what to do

buy another 3 year 60,000 miler and put another 60,000 on in three years and then have to replace

or

buy a new car and put 120k miles in 6 years and know the overship
    history

what to do ?

Milan.

You would lose less money on buying the 3 year old option assuming it’s reliable but you will get a 3 year warranty on the new one.

Buy a 1 year old and have the best of both worlds!
    Last edited by gingerjedi; 2 February 2007, 09:14. Reason: mistakes mistakes
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

New car is great but the 2 week buzz that wears off very quickly does not equate to the 5-10k first year loss on anything decent (you think you want to keep it 6 years - after 2 or 3 you will want a change)
      Look for something 18mths old, still got loads of life in but someone else has taken the hit.
      For me, I really need a different car every 6 months to keep any interest. Having been lucky enough to have had some very fancy cars, the initial buzz of them is great but 3 months later it is routine and just another car.

Comment

Or just buy anything Japanese of any age, they never break down.

Cue tales of woe and european car snobbery....
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes
          car will need replacing soon

what to do

Milan.
          Does it really need replacing?

Comment

Use public transport. Cars are evil. It is a scientific fact that this January was warm, solely due to the selfishness of middle class women in Chelsea who drive 4x4's. Evil bints.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes
              what to do ?

Milan.
              Buy a proper car like an Audi or Bmw, instead of your skoda.
              I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by Francko
                Buy a proper car like an Audi or Bmw, instead of your skoda.
                Buy a decent cheap car that will last for up to 10 years (buy it 1-2 years old, very cheap). Replace 3 times over your working life, saving many thousands.

Meanwhile, rent the smallest place suitable for your needs, instead of buying the biggest you can afford.

Invest the savings. Retire.

Comment

Originally posted by expat
                  Buy a decent cheap car that will last for up to 10 years (buy it 1-2 years old, very cheap). Replace 3 times over your working life, saving many thousands.

Meanwhile, rent the smallest place suitable for your needs, instead of buying the biggest you can afford.

Reminds me of that program last night, 'pay off your mortgage in 2 years' they made him sell his beloved classic wooden sailing dingy and his sports car to get some cash to put in the pot, **** that if paying off your mortgage early means selling the things you enjoy I'll wait thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by expat

So you would drive a cinquecento for 30 years just to retire a few years before???

Be glad now, there is no certainty about tomorrow (chi vuol esser lieto sia, di diman non v'e' certezza).
                    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Working...
                    X