• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Join us as permi

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Join us as permi

Client has popped that dreaded question 'would you join us as permi?'
    which sounded more like an order than a question.
    How to decline this generous offer without offending them.I want to continue the gig here and possible extensions.

Use the money trick. Present a calculation that means you would need a salary of around £100K. They soon piss off then.

Comment

Originally posted by andy
      How to decline this generous offer without offending them.
      Do what the women do (they do it to me anyway).
      "I am flattered by your offer. You are very sweet and I like you. But I already have a ......"
      Drivel is my speciality

Comment

I was offered a permi job at my current gig the other evening.

I told them no.

Felt good.
        Call the cops

Comment

Andy,

Because you want to continue the gig here and possible extensions you need to be a little more tactful in your response. i.e. don't piss the fella off by making him realise that you're far better off as a consultant than as a permie.

Instead, persuade the guy (somehow) that you need more time (i.e. an extension to your lucrative contract) to consider this 'exciting opportunity' and show him how grateful you are. i.e. lay it all on and bring all your 'complicated and emotional' personal circumstances into the conversation. If he's half human he will buy it.

So whilst in his eyes you are buying time to consider embracing the comforts of corporate cotton wool, you are in fact buying another couple of grand.

How long you can keep this up will depend on how long you can smartly play the game and how much they need YOU.
          Last edited by vinohrady; 2 February 2007, 10:06.

Comment

Join us as permi

Join us ..... or die!

Comment

Originally posted by andy
              Client has popped that dreaded question 'would you join us as permi?'
              which sounded more like an order than a question.
              How to decline this generous offer without offending them.I want to continue the gig here and possible extensions.
              I once had a very honest answer when I asked "why?". It was "because you would be a lot cheaper". However, try to ask for a very high salary. If you like the environment why not taking a 3 year long term contract?
              I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by vinohrady
                Andy,

Because you want to continue the gig here and possible extensions you need to be a little more tactful in your response. i.e. don't piss the fella off by making him realise that you're far better off as a consultant than as a permie.

Instead, persuade the guy (somehow) that you need more time (i.e. an extension to your lucrative contract) to consider this 'exciting opportunity' and show him how grateful you are. i.e. lay it all on and bring all your 'complicated and emotional' personal circumstances into the conversation. If he's half human he will buy it.

So whilst in his eyes you are buying time to consider embracing the comforts of corporate cotton wool, you are in fact buying another couple of grand.

How long you can keep this up will depend on how long you can smartly play the game and how much they need YOU.

Thats very good advise vino - bravo!
                The pope is a tard.

Comment

What's the package?

A very simple question.

When you receive the envelope, read the contents, work out if you want to join the organisation and act accordingly.

Nobody else can make that decision for you.

I decided to join this company because there are certain things I wish to achieve and I feel that becoming an employee of this company will help me.

It's your decision, you know your circumstances better than anyone else. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Comment

For goodness sake....

You don't go through any rigmarole, pretending to look through contracts, just say

NO

If you're in a good mood, a can add "thanks"
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                    X