• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Technical Documentation - Is there anything worse?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Technical Documentation - Is there anything worse?

Who actually documents their work? I do and good stuff it is to. But god it's boring.

Wish I was more like Milan!

Check Tape
    If Tape Full then Change Tape
    If Tape Not Full then Wait
    Repeat first Step.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

less of it Mr Link Detached Mock Tudor Facade UPvc Conservatory Four Bedrooms even though one is on 2metres square Mercedes A Class and old Landrover Discovery... can anyone else add any more ?

Milan.

Comment

I spend more time documenting than coding
      Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan
        Check Tape
        Repeat first Step.
        And no one noticed obvious huge error in that "algorithm"? Clearly MF never wrote any serious code, stick to selling tat - you are doing it badly too, but at least you will be doing something useful in this world!

Comment

Found 50p for the meter again AtW.

Are you going to come up on the 9th for a drink? The only problem is, if you say yes every homeless person I see on the streets I'll probably introduce myself to thinking it's you.

Comment

Typical amateurs' mistake is have a loop as produced above by MF where a complete lack of delay will cause that piece of code to hog CPU or other resources: since he is not an old timer he does not really have an excuse that at the time of his youth (years that are long gone for good) computers were not multi-tasking so this crappy piece of code would do just fine, which is probably fair enough for DOS v1.0, but certainly not for modern OSes.

Now below is a better piece of code, but it still lacks key element, what is it?

Code:
            Check Tape
            Execute Delay of X Seconds
            Repeat first Step.

Comment

I think you have over-stretched yourself this time AtW.

This loop does not require a delay. You have forgotten that this is based on the Milan Benes Invoicing Machine Operating System.

This automatically has a 30 minute delay between actions, the only hogging of resource the MBIM O/S uses is the bathroom and coffee machine.

Now apologise.

Comment

Surely you need a change tape subscriber that listens to change tape events from the change tape publisher?

It's pub/sub paradigm innit?

Comment

I suppose I was wrong as "then Wait" would do what I suggested, that reset my no-post counter for no good reason at all

Comment

fecks sake lads

are you contractors or what

coy paste innit

find some code, copy paste test and adjust

take the credit

sorteeeeeeeed

Milan.

Comment

Working...
                    X