• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Platoon

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Platoon

We had to watch Platoon twice over the weekend for my daughter's History GCSE work. Good film?

you watched it... what do you think?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SA - Is it like a dragons nostril?

Comment

Originally posted by kramer
      you watched it... what do you think?
      Oops, extraneous question mark. Er, yes, it was quite good.

GCSE O-level study is a bit different to my day.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
        And that's history is it?

My history GCE stopped at 1914...
        Well, I suppose it is now. They concentrate on the 20th century at GCSE O-level these days. Well, up to the end of the cold war, anyway.

Comment

What part of the history curriculum is this? The history of the contemporary work of Willem Defoe? Or the blood soaked history of the warmongering USA?

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore
            What part of the history curriculum is this? The history of the contemporary work of Willem Defoe? Or the blood soaked history of the warmongering USA?

You are Noam Chomsky and I claim ... etc etc

Comment

If I was a parent I would be bloody annoyed that an "entertainment" was part of my child's curriculum - unless it was extraneous to the real work.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

My son's history lessons were similar, he's not doing GCSE though. They seem concentrate far more on analysing historical situations and interpreation than on hard historical facts.

Most of his last year of history lessons, before he dropped it, was spent on the American West of the 19th century. Cowboys and Indians etc. They did virtually no "conventional" British/European history at all.

I suspect that watching Platoon counts as Modern History and analysing the causes and effects of the Vietnam War.
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

I was into reading about Vietham at the time Platoon came out and I place it my top ten movies. I think it far better then Full Metal Jacket that got raver reviews. Watched the latter recently and it reminds me of my visit to Fort Sill, Oklahoma. American GIs are another animal all together.

Did the Cold War as part of my history O'level back in 76.

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeHopper
                    I was into reading about Vietham at the time Platoon came out and I place it my top ten movies. I think it far better then Full Metal Jacket that got raver reviews. Watched the latter recently and it reminds me of my visit to Fort Sill, Oklahoma. American GIs are another animal all together.

Did the Cold War as part of my history O'level back in 76.
                    Deerhunter has got to be the best of the bunch !?

Comment

Working...
                    X