• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Road Accident

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Road Accident

Anyone here had a near death road accident? did your life flash before your eyes? I had one last year on the motorway, just kept thinking: 'this is it, this is it, its all over now'

Did the accident teach you to drive betteror slower? I try to keep to speed limits now

Originally posted by zamzummim
    Anyone here had a near death road accident? did your life flash before your eyes? I had one last year on the motorway, just kept thinking: 'this is it, this is it, its all over now'

Did the accident teach you to drive betteror slower? I try to keep to speed limits now
    Was involved in a good one in London a few years back in an illegal taxi at 5am that got smashed up by a pissed up driver. Everybody else ended up in hospital or was arrested and I got left unscathed by the roadside as the coppers wouldn't give me a lift as I was too pissed. Eventually got home on the tube. Didn't really teach me anything !

Comment

I had a horrid accident on the M40 - no my life didn't flash, frankly I had a strange feeling of being relieved and totally free, I thought everything is going to be OK, nothing no one and no problems mattered at that point - it was a very strange liberating feeling, if I haven't survived it I think I wouldn't have minded leaving the world feeling so relieved !

Yes it did teach me to stick to speed limits
      Last edited by SandyDown; 5 February 2007, 11:52.

Comment

Originally posted by SandyDown
        I had a horrid accident on the M40 - no my life didn't flash, frankly I had a strange feeling of being relieved and totally free, I thought everything is going to be OK, nothing no one and no problems mattered at that point - it was a very strange liberating feeling, if I haven't survived it I think I wouldn't have minded leaving the world feeling so relieved !

Yes it did teach me to stick to speed limits
        Maybe you didn't and are now living with the rest of us in an artificial reality matrix constructed by Threaded? After all, how would you know?

Comment

As a teenager, I was a passenger in a car, we were going about 70mph on a windy country road, when the driver lost it, the car swerved and we headed for a stone wall. We all thought it was "curtains". Yes I did see my entire life flash before me in a split second weird feeling. Anyway the car didn't hit the wall, it continued swerving went up a rise on the side of the road and turned upside down on the road, sliding 20 yards up the road on its roof, so there was no impact and no-one was hurt. That was really lucky as there were about 8 of us in the car.

Do I drive more carefully.....hmm...not sure about that, but I everytime I go a bit fast round a corner the memories of crunching metal and windows smashing comes back.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
            Maybe you didn't and are now living with the rest of us in an artificial reality matrix constructed by Threaded? After all, how would you know?
            Yes who knows -
            Am too scared to say this, just can't stop thinking about Fleety, I don't know the details, but I do hope Fleety had the same liberating feeling that came over me before he passed away - I do hope he did even if it was for a few seconds (time is suddnly starts going in a very very slow motion )

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
              Multiple parallel universes? Every decision/reaction creates a branch and carries on with each outcome? I find it hard to comprehend but people a lot cleverer than me seem to think there maybe somthing in it
              Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

20 years I have been driving with out any problems on all the major motorways and A roads, then just before christmas I had my first major accident driving through our village. The driver in front was fannying around deciding whether to turn or not - I decided he wasn't so overtook him, he then decided he was !)

No near death experiences, I was more p*ssed that he was sitting there holding his neck and phoning for an ambulance - this was after he got out of his car and decided there wasn't much damage to his car. Me, I needed two new doors, though myself & the 3 kids in the car were fine. (Even they were commenting about his actions tw*t)

Comment

One where we blasted round a 90 degree bend and missed an oncoming by centimetres.

One where my head went through the car windscreen - over in a split second - hospital with a chipped vertebra.

One where some bloke on a motor bike went sraight over the bonnet at about 40, not nice. He wasn't very well.

Two instances of being hit by lorries on the A11 when cycling.

One where we would have been toast under the wheels of an artic had the people we were overtaking not let us in.

Oh, and one where my last word would have been "F*uckarama", as my mate decided to do a U turn on a double carriageway, and we were faced with a LARGE truck we just missed.

I learned nothing, except that truck drivers cannot see you, assume you're invisible.

On the upside, my mum & dad met each other in a head-on smash. She ended up in his passenger seat. He still has the steering wheel that fits his chest perfectly.

Comment

Originally posted by foritisme
                    20 years I have been driving with out any problems on all the major motorways and A roads, then just before christmas I had my first major accident driving through our village. The driver in front was fannying around deciding whether to turn or not - I decided he wasn't so overtook him, he then decided he was !)

No near death experiences, I was more p*ssed that he was sitting there holding his neck and phoning for an ambulance - this was after he got out of his car and decided there wasn't much damage to his car. Me, I needed two new doors, though myself & the 3 kids in the car were fine. (Even they were commenting about his actions tw*t)
                    To be fair, it sounds as though it was your fault. If someone seems unsure in front of you, just wait until they have decided what they're doing. Don't try and razz past them.

I think the only instance the law would recognise it would have been his fault would have been if you were on a motorbike or bicycle, an exception to the general "if you hit someone it's your fault" rule I've always found strange.

Comment

Working...
                    X