• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Choosing an offer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Choosing an offer

I got 2 offers for new contracts from 2 different companies (Company A & company B), I went to another interview with a 3rd company(C). My favourite is company C, however company C wants to arrange a second interview with me, offers from company A&B will start next week, in company C they are taking their time. Should I take one of the firm offers from company A or B (company A is actually next door to company C) so I can start @company A and if an offer comes from company C, I can give notice leave company A and move to company C? I know this sounds very unprofessional, but I don't want to gamble losing a contract while company C is playing around with HR to get the role approved and complete the 2nd round of interviews!! btw company C will wait for someone to give notice.
    However as you know the industry is small, and I'd hate to take a contract in a company then move from one to another within a few week to the company next door. Any advice? Should I think of No 1 (ME)

all depends if you need the contract and $$$ if you do, then take hte contract, if company C will wait for notice you can still work you notice at the current contract....you may find you like company A or B and if.when you move to C you may hate it !
    SA says;
    Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
    (whatever these are)

Comment

I tend to apply the principle "how would you feel if it's done to you" and certainly it wouldn't make me happy if they drop me after 1-2 weeks because they found a better/cheaper candidate. However, having said that, the possibilities of finding a replacement is not the same for us as is for a company so at least I would say not to feel too guilty (especially if it's a big company with 4-5 agencies working for them and so on).
      I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Tell company C that either they have to make an offer now, or you are going to A or B. If they want you, they'll take you. They have already seen you.

However, don't go to either A or B and then give notice immediately. That won't make you look very good and you'll have burned your bridges for the future.
        Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

you got to put yourself first, take the offer with the best of A&B then if an offer comes along from C you are in a better position to negotiate rate, then you end your contract in a professional way (i.e. give the proper notice and stick to contract clauses)

Comment

I tend to apply the principle 'know your own mind'. If you need to ask an online forum which contract should you take then you should really be asking if you are cut out to be a contractor...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Put pressure on Company C. Yes you need to look after number one, but if you would like to work for this company again (A or B) then its advisable not to p*** off after two weeks. They will be seriously pee'd off; In the short-term they will probably not consider you, that is unless it is a different PM and you keep quiet about your previous short assignment.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Thanks all - BlasterBate, I agree I don't really want to piss off company A&B as they are big in the finance world.

Ratewhore- this is a contractor forum, and I am asking a contracting related question, but I understand that some of the members here like to make others feel bad in order for them to feel good about themselves -I supposed form your name your deciding factor is rate.

Anyway the situation is although comp C is the best in my eyes, the facts are:
                1- I have no firm offer on the table from C yet
                2- If I have an offer it will take them a while to process my start (2-4 weeks)

I think the right thing to do is to push them to give me a firm offer if they think they want me (only I risk coming across as too pushy ) but if they did offer me the role I’d have to take a few weeks on the bench not getting paid that’s why I was considering taking the contract with either A&B – but thinking about it this is not the honourable thing to do- so best if I delay the starting A&B till I know what’s going on with C!!

Comment

I'm in an irritable mood today SouthRoute, so I'm getting annoyed with posters asking questions which they should really work out for themselves. You just happen to be in my line of fire.

But look on the bright side - at least you're not a permie asking what they need to do to go contracting...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

It only a contract, it’s not like you are considering getting married.

Tell C to put a firm offer plus start date on the table by the end of the day or forget it. Assume they wont, so do a strict cost / benefit on A & B.
                    Drivel is my speciality

Comment

Working...
                    X