• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Compost heaps

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compost heaps

I am not a gardener, always had someone else to take care of the garden for me (heh same as the bathroom cleaning )

Anyho anyone got a compost heap? I got one at the bottom of my garden hidden behind a holly bush, been there for over 10 years now, whoever is looking after the garden usually puts further weeds and tree cuttings, also I add to it all my veg & fruit peels and leftovers.

But I don’t understand the principal, what the point, in the last 10 years no one used the compost that theoretically is supposed to be created, is it just an excuse to look environmentally friendly? Perhaps someone can enlighten me on best ways to utilise this huge compost heap?

send it to an outsourcing company in victoria?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SA - Is it like a dragons nostril?

Comment

aren't you supposed to stick it on the flowers?

At least you're not dumping it in the rubbish...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

the really well composted stuff (generally at the bottom) can be mixed in with the soil in your garden to improve fertility
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

That is where the bodies are buried.
          Drivel is my speciality

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet
            the really well composted stuff (generally at the bottom) can be mixed in with the soil in your garden to improve fertility

how long does it take for the rubish to be well composted ? 10 years long enough? well have to ask my man to start digging the rubish to get the good stuff out

Comment

Originally posted by SandyDown
              how long does it take for the rubish to be well composted ? 10 years long enough? well have to ask my man to start digging the rubish to get the good stuff out
              probably less than a year - do some googling
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

stick yer hand in it and if it's warm it should be good to go...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore
                  stick yer hand in it and if it's warm it should be good to go...

that's true, someone said the heap should generate lots of heat !!

btw: a long time ago I worked with a colleague who ordered these plastic containers that should be used for composting, only they were full of worms any idea why?? do worms speed up the composting action?

Comment

Have two compost heaps.

Start filling #1 in year one. In the following spring turn it over into #2.

Start filling compost heap #1 again.

Following spring use compost from heap #1 on flowers beds or vegetable patch. Turn over compost in #1 into #2.

And so on.

Usually find you don't have to wait until year 2 to use the compost. Can be good enough between 12 and 18 months.

Always try to mix in other stuff with grass cuttings.

Comment

Working...
                    X