• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

quote from HMRC

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quote from HMRC

Tackling missing trader fraud is HMRC's top priority
    And there's me thinking the top priority is making life increasingly difficult for the UK's flexible workforce...

Full story here - http://www.channelregister.co.uk/200...hmrc_nets_ten/

Older and ...well, just older!!

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/200...nce_vat_fraud/

The man behind a £54m VAT fraud gang has been sentenced to 15 years in prison - the longest ever UK sentence for such a crime.

What was the Blair advice? Do not jail prisoners that are not repeat offenders where there is no risk to the public safety.

Can someone explain how a first time mugger/burglar gets a few hours community service and a VAT fraudster gets 15 years prison?

Or is government tax collection more important than human safety?

Comment

Got to teach people that if they have a scam then you have to pay your protection to nuLieBore or else!
      Drivel is my speciality

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
        What was the Blair advice? Do not jail prisoners that are not repeat offenders where there is no risk to the public safety.
        That was John Reid actually.

Comment

Originally posted by tonyblair
          That was John Reid actually.
          It was a civil servant, who will be disciplined.

Comment

Howdy John! Hope you can stay a while longer (luv the piccie - been ill?)
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I was thinking £54m fraud sounds pretty serious but I suppose it just a year's salary to you Dim.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Anyone have a link for the proposed plan to apply PAYE and National Insurance to dividends?

I told another contractor about this, and he doesn't believe me. (He is currently a Guardian reader, with all that implies, but says if it is true he will switch to the Dail Mail overnight.)
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot
                  Anyone have a link for the proposed plan to apply PAYE and National Insurance to dividends?

I told another contractor about this, and he doesn't believe me. (He is currently a Guardian reader, with all that implies, but says if it is true he will switch to the Dail Mail overnight.)
                  What? That will never work, every business owner and share holder would immediately vote against Labour.

Comment

Originally posted by Diestl
                    What? That will never work, every business owner and share holder would immediately vote against Labour.
                    Tsch, you fool! It will help secure Britain's borders, boost the fight against illegal immigration, combat people-trafficking and protect the country against terrorism! Also blah blah hard working families, blah blah nurses, blah blah policemen, blah blah blah, support our troops, blah blah.
                    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Working...
                    X