• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I hate Vista

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hate Vista

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/robertpeston/
    Why the avatar? Well anyone accused of plotting against Gordon Brown can't be all bad.

And that's news?
    Me, me, me...

Comment

I saw that as well and just thought "twat. what do you expect?"

Its only just been released, you've paid for your impatience. Sensible buyers will wait 6-12 months untill they know what they're getting into.

I personally only upgraded to xp 2 years ago - and never had a single problem with it
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

The biggest problem with Vista is the DRM embedded deep into the heart of it. Now MS controls your computer, not the other way around. For example, if you already have an HD monitor that isn't HDCP compatible (that's most of them), Vista will not allow you to play any HD content on it and will instead scale down the image to below DVD quality. That's probably about £1000 down the drain right there, not to mention having to buy new hardware to run it in the first place. This lack of control and the forced hardware upgrades are the main reason why Vista is something that none of the Windows using people that I know are planning to upgrade to at all if possible.

I'm not completely anti-MS, I do have an XBox 360 and I'm very happy with it. Windows XP wasn't too bad, no real complaints other than having to be carefuly about security, but no stability problems and no built in DRM. Why upgrade? Vista offers nothing new that is good for the consumer. That is why I chose to buy a Mac last autumn when my last laptop packed in. And I'm really glad I made the switch. I'd recommend anyone else to head in that direction as well.
        Last edited by Cowboy Bob; 6 February 2007, 21:07.
        Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Yep, I only moved my desktop to it 'cos I've got a new one. Don't expect to need another for a couple of years.

I'll just go for a new Mac laptop next month...
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob
            The biggest problem with Vista is the DRM embedded deep into the heart of it. Now MS controls your computer, not the other way around. For example, if you already have an HD monitor that isn't HDCP compatible (that's most of them), Vista will not allow you to play any HD content on it and will instead scale down the image to below DVD quality. That's probably about £1000 down the drain right there, not to mention having to buy new hardware to run it in the first place. This lack of control and the forced hardware upgrades are the main reason why Vista is something that none of the Windows using people that I know are planning to upgrade to at all if possible.

I'm not completely anti-MS, I do have an XBox 360 and I'm very happy with it. Windows XP wasn't too bad, no real complaints other than having to be carefuly about security, but no stability problems and no built in DRM. Why upgrade? Vista offers nothing new that is good for the consumer. That is why I chose to buy a Mac last autumn when my last laptop packed in. And I'm really glad I made the switch. I'd recommend anyone else to head in that direction as well.
            £1000 so, about 3 days income in order to make a mint out of an anvanced OS and development platform...

And you expect the BBC to say anything nice about MS? Get real. They put every anti-MS headline on the front page of their website.

Your avatar... hmmm... an Apple that has been ported to run on PC hardware... should have 'Intel Inside' written on it I guess...and all that after how much money was spent convincing people that RISC chips were more 'performant', coupled with failures like the Newton... ?

Much as I like Macs, I like Windows based PC's too... so I guess well have to agree to differ....
            Vieze Oude Man

Comment

P.S some interesting comments on that story...

57. At 12:11 PM on 06 Feb 2007, Drags wrote:
              It's quite funny listening to all the Mac owners getting so excited over the release of the latest O/S from Microsoft.

Of course, we all know how it will go. Mac owners will gloat, without good cause I might add, Vista will find it's way onto over 90% of PC's, just like it's predecessors have done and everybody will forget what a Mac is again until the next big Microsoft release where the process will repeat itself.

Strange how PC owners are quite content to use their machines without trying to sell them to every Mac user they know and yet Mac owners seem completely incapable of doing the same.

58. At 12:11 PM on 06 Feb 2007, Andrew wrote:
              I am pretty surprised by your comments. I installed a clean version of Vista on a Dell laptop of about 18 months in age. I was expecting a host of issues, and lack of functionality in the Aero graphics. But i have to say I have been totally blown away by the ease of installation. NOT ONE BUG OR PROBLEM, it was a total joy to install. Dell had updated all the drivers I required.

Blaming Microsoft for your drivers not working is a strange way to do it. Driver compatibility has ALWAYS been an issue, its not MS's fault that new drivers haven't been released. Manufacturers such as Dell have had access to Vista for months. I would suggest that HP have no motivation to update drivers... however persuading customers to buy new hardware contains plenty of motivation.

59. At 12:12 PM on 06 Feb 2007, Byron Hinson wrote:
              I'll chime in here and be one of the few sticking up for Windows Vista. I think overall it is excellent. Not only is it much faster, its user friendly for those stepping up from Windows XP and much easier to search with, browse the internet, play music and organise photos with.

I'm also a mac user mostly for my photography and while when I first got the Mac I was praising it no end, I still like it, but for day to day use and doing more things like Gaming, browsing, creating DVD's, movies and for better overall sound I use my Windows PC far more. Yeah the Mac UI looks fantastic and generally it never crashes, but thats not all that great when there is little for most people to use it for.

60. At 12:12 PM on 06 Feb 2007, John Greenwood wrote:
              Maybe you should have spent a few minutes on the web and confirmed that that 'two of the vital tools of your trade' were indeed compatible before your purchase, it's not unheard of for there to be driver issues on a new version of windows.

Our office is in the process of upgrading to Vista... using Dell hardware. Most of us have PDA's, Smartphones, esoteric hardware... its a software house that is part of a finance company. No major problems so far, that were not cured by visiting a website and downloading a compatible driver... Vista basically configured itself.
              Last edited by mcquiggd; 7 February 2007, 00:27.
              Vieze Oude Man

Comment

The man doth protest too much, methinks...
                Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

The guy doesnt like the interface - well boo-hoo, who really gives a crap?

Comment

Originally posted by marcus2704
                    The guy doesnt like the interface - well boo-hoo, who really gives a crap?
                    So just switch to 'Classic Mode' like in XP.

The vegetarian option.

Comment

Working...
                    X