• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Expense Claims from Client

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Expense Claims from Client

Hi

I'm afraid that I'm new to the whole Ltd Company thing as I have always worked under an Umbrella before and to complicate things this contract involves travel paid for by the client.

I am having to claim expense incurred for travelling from my client- they have requested I travel to another office (that has no car park!) as required.

Can anyone please confirm for my piece of mind that the 40p per mile allowance is inclusive of VAT so in order to claim I do as follows:

160* 0.4 = £64.00 so VAT is £9.53 and Net is £54.47

Also do I need to deduct VAT from Car Parking charges?

Thanks for your help!

No. You charge the client 40p per mile (if that's what they've agreed to pay) plus any other expenses (like parking). As it's a sale, like any other sale you're legally obliged to add VAT on top of that @17.5%.

Business to business dealings are usually exclusive of VAT.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

You need more information from the client.

1. What have they agreed to pay? 40p/mile?
      2. Is this figure inclusive of VAT?

I would expect them to quote a VAT exclusive figure. The only time this is going to make a real difference to them is if they are not VAT registered, in which case they cannot offset your VAT charged.

Comment

As an aside, I assume you are also re-imburing yourself 40p per mile from YOUR Ltd company as an expense? 25p/mile after 10k miles per tax year. You should be doing this for travel to and from home to the clients office already.

Comment

You can charge the client company whatever you like (that they will pay). The 40ppm is what you can pay yourself for use of own car without incurring a BIK.

tim

Comment

on you invoice

Charge 40p/mile and any other expenses. Add VAT on top. they should be able to claim the VAT back (if they are registered.)

160*0.4 = £64
            Hotel = £100
            TOTAL = £164
            VAT = £ 28.70
            G.TOTAL= £192.70

HTH.

Comment

Thanks everyone

I will take on board all the advice and check with the client before invoicing!

VinnyB- I am reimbursing myself for the mileage already- cheers!

Comment

Working...
              X