• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Normal Response Level ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Normal Response Level ?

Currently looking for a new contract. In the past 7 days I have applied for 22 contracts via jobserve, some are for the same position but with different agencies. Only applied for jobs that I am qualified to do (i.e fulfil about 99% of the skills asked for on the well crafted job adverts !)

Of the 22 applied, so far only 3 agencies have called back.

Have been contracting for a long time now and never been out of work, so I am guessing CV is ok.

Is this the normal sort of response expected from these "overworked" agents nowadays?

sounds about right

the other 19 have your CV so the "job" advert clearly worked

this time last year i was on the bench and applying for contract. I decided to keep a log of jobs applied for, responses and further follow ups. It does not make for happy reading!
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

February/March is pre-budget time for most companies. It's always the slowest time of the year.
      Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Whats the best time of the year to be looking?

Comment

Originally posted by shoes
          Whats the best time of the year to be looking?
          when you are already in a contract.

Comment

I don't want to teach you to suck eggs but from my experience most agencies come to you rather than the other way around, just make sure your CV is up to date and available to search by recruiters, ring the pimps and tell them you're available, they will always try and fill positions with people already on their books before advertising.
            Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Let's see....

from personal experience

3 years on the bench
              1200+ applications (I gave up keeping count after a while)
              3 interviews
              1 contract

HTH
              Life is just nature's way of keeping meat fresh

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi
                I don't want to teach you to suck eggs but from my experience most agencies come to you rather than the other way around, just make sure your CV is up to date and available to search by recruiters, ring the pimps and tell them you're available, they will always try and fill positions with people already on their books before advertising.

I know you are correct, most of my previous contracts have come from previous agents & clients I had dealings with, but have already checked with most of them. Saying that I have just this minute had a call from last agent/client so fingers crossed !

Comment

I tend to get a responce on 75% of the jobs I apply for of these 75% I get about a 60% return for interview requests, I have been offered a job in about 90% of all interviews I go to....
                  SA says;
                  Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                  (whatever these are)

Comment

Originally posted by n5gooner
                    I tend to get a responce on 75% of the jobs I apply for of these 75% I get about a 60% return for interview requests, I have been offered a job in about 90% of all interviews I go to....
                    I was very much the same - then one day it stopped dead. I don't suppose it could be anything to do with my age, could it?
                    Life is just nature's way of keeping meat fresh

Comment

Working...
                    X