• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Overqualified and underqualified for everything

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overqualified and underqualified for everything

Have you ever come accross a stage where you find yourself too overqualified for many jobs but yet underqualified for the very high roles.

I have to admit that it's very frustrating.

Why most of the companies have to see everything in black & white?
    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

It’s just another variant on age discrimination.
    Drivel is my speciality

Comment

Originally posted by Buffoon
      It’s just another variant on age discrimination.
      Well I am not that old yet. 37. I don't think it's an age problem.
      I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by Francko
        I don't think it's an age problem.
        Well you would say that, old man
        The pope is a tard.

Comment

Originally posted by Francko
          Well I am not that old yet. 37. I don't think it's an age problem.
          37 - as Churchill would say 'Ohhhhhhh Yesssss'
          Drivel is my speciality

Comment

39 - ready for my big party in a couple of weeks...

Ohhhhh YESSS!

Comment

Originally posted by Buffoon
              37 - as Churchill would say 'Ohhhhhhh Yesssss'
              So am I supposed to retire now?

Comment

Aren't you a permie Francko? Put your feet up and wait for your carriage clock...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Franko,

it seems to me you are in somewhat of a quandry.

To make such a statement,

'Have you ever come accross a stage where you find yourself too overqualified for many jobs but yet underqualified for the very high roles.',

suggests to me that you are a point in your permie (and this is an important differentiation) career where you have to bite the bullet and make a strategic decision. What is that decision ?

You need to decide whether or not you are going to hang up your techy apron and get into bed with a Management career. If you don't make this decision soon you will go nowhere further than a senior techy, and if you want the bigger permy bucks you have to go to more responsibility, more @rse kissing and management.

What are the alternatives ? There is only one, if you want to stay techy and you want the £££ you'll need to go back to contracting.

You must however remember, once you have hung up your apron and turned your back on the techy area and moved into management, you're on your own and must give the management direction 100% effort as you will rapidly lose your skills and coming back into techy work will be harder the longer you are away in Management.

I still believe you made a mistake not pursuing the JCo direction and riding this wave.

All the best with your decisions,

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes

I still believe you made a mistake not pursuing the JCo direction and riding this wave.

All the best with your decisions,

Milan.
                    Wow, a reasoned post from Milan. Thanks, cheers.

Well, I'd like to go for senior management positions but as I said they claim I don't have the right experience. Neither I don't want to grow internally (and also this doesn't seem like a very profitable strategy unless you are protected by someone at a very high level. Growing from outside turns easier than growing from inside, at least from my experience.

Returning to contracts is also a possibility (and indeed I would probably prefer that now), although this will probably mark a path of no-return.

What is JCo?

Comment

Working...
                    X