• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working in Norway…

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working in Norway…

Have you had any experience?

If you charge one rate in the UK, what rate do you charge in Norway to maintain a similar income?

Are they’re economic considerations?

Tax considerations for an ltd company?
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

you charge what your client will pay.

Everything in Norway (except buying a house) costs loads more than in the UK. I doubt very much that you could ramp up your rate to achieve the same buying power.

They are also very strict when it comes to taxation. They have a rule which allows them to tax you on local earnings immediately (actually, much like many EU countries). Unlike most EU countries, they enforce it vigorously.

tim

Comment

Ok Tim thanks.

Got the Norway job with a 40% increase in rate.

Now do I drive out there or buy a car when i get there...
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Might be easier to buy one there (for the LHD) - depends on how long you are working for. If you are heading out there now you will need snow tyres too.

Comment

Originally posted by Back In Business
          Might be easier to buy one there (for the LHD) - depends on how long you are working for. If you are heading out there now you will need snow tyres too.
          No snow just rain mostly for the moment. Snow chains not required thank goodness!

Comment

That's strange - I know snow tyres are required in Sweden until the end of March. Norway being further north, I would have thought they would have the same rules if not stricter ones.

Comment

Do you know it is easier or are you guessing?

In may European countries you cannot register a car locally (and hence drive it away from the dealer) until you have registered yourself locally.

Whilst you can make registering yourself the highest priority task when you arrive, very few people do.

tim

Comment

I was actually just stating the obvious, that it's easier to drive a LHD car in a country that drives on the right

Comment

I was actually just stating the obvious, that it's easier to drive a LHD car in a country that drives on the right
                  Obviously, but it isn't actually that hard.

Bigger problems are:

You're not going to have a car with 'daylight' lights and I'm told that leaving normal headlights on all the time impares their performance.

You're not going to have a car with a little electric heater in it that you turn on before you get in, so you're going to have to spend 20 minutes clearing the windows in the morning whereas the gut next to you will drive off in 2.

You're not going to have a car with a sump heater (though you don't need these in the south and I never actually saw a place to plug on in).

tim

tim

Comment

The concern is appreciated guys however I’ll be spending my time in Bergen, which is in the South and on the coast. The climate is not the different to Scotland really, driving RHD should not be a problem my spider is LHD and I’ve not problem adapting in this country so perhaps not to much different over there, he hopes. Tim is right though the headlights are mandatory so will probably carry some spares.

Comment

Working...
                    X