• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working in Norway...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working in Norway...

Have you had any experience?

If you charge one rate in the UK, what rate do you charge in Norway to maintain a similar income?

Are they’re economic considerations?

Tax considerations for an ltd company?
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Originally posted by scooterscot

Beer costs tulip loads

HTH

Comment

Got deported for not having a work permit
      Me, me, me...

Comment

If you charge one rate in the UK, what rate do you charge in Norway to maintain a similar income?
        HTH
        The vegetarian option.

Comment

Tax considerations for an ltd company?
          Scooter, I lived in Norway for several years. The cost of consumables is high and the sin items are punitively taxed. Count on double the UK price. If you are based in London the difference will be less shocking but not much.

Wages are more or less equivalent to what you would earn as a permie here, maybe a little less than London wages. The difference is made up in the cost of property, which is cheap and most people own their own place. The wage structure is quite flat and egalitarian. The gap between the wages of the office cleaner and the MD is quite small by UK standards.

Standards of living and of the social services are exceptionally high. The state looks after you from cradle to grave in return for high levels of taxation. However, ex-pats get significant tax breaks for the first two years. It reduces the burden of tax to approx 30% (all in).

You might find someone prepared to deal with your UK Ltd but don't count on it. There are a lot of off-shore freelancers though, so the contracting model isn't unheard of, just that you will need to do things the Norwegian way. Remember, they are not in the EU.

Comment

Standards of living and of the social services are exceptionally high. The state looks after you from cradle to grave in return for high levels of taxation.
            Just like the UK then!

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
              Scooter, I lived in Norway for several years. The cost of consumables is high and the sin items are punitively taxed. Count on double the UK price. If you are based in London the difference will be less shocking but not much.

Wages are more or less equivalent to what you would earn as a permie here, maybe a little less than London wages. The difference is made up in the cost of property, which is cheap and most people own their own place. The wage structure is quite flat and egalitarian. The gap between the wages of the office cleaner and the MD is quite small by UK standards.

Standards of living and of the social services are exceptionally high. The state looks after you from cradle to grave in return for high levels of taxation. However, ex-pats get significant tax breaks for the first two years. It reduces the burden of tax to approx 30% (all in).

You might find someone prepared to deal with your UK Ltd but don't count on it. There are a lot of off-shore freelancers though, so the contracting model isn't unheard of, just that you will need to do things the Norwegian way. Remember, they are not in the EU.

Thanks for the advice LB.

So hypothetically speaking if I were over there for 12 months I’d be better buying my own place rather than renting it?

I’m not much of a beer drinker (more red wine sort of chap) and not a smoker. The standards of living do appeal, currently living in Winchester for the last year it’s starting to wear off now, time to move on I thinks.

I believe I’ve got a bit of leverage with my client and can increase on the UK rate I’m currently charging I guess I’ll just start with a high price. 30% tax I can handle, I trust from you experience that’s company + personnel tax all in? That I can handle. The client is prepared to pay in GBP.

Right back to the festival was drinking a glass of my favourite Chateauneuf du pape on Thursday night then thought about how lovely a walk through the streets of Venice would be and well here I am next to the realto bridge taking in the sights, life is tough sometimes…
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I’m not much of a beer drinker (more red wine sort of chap)
                You might be in for a shock then - you can't buy wines and spirits from the Supermarket, they are only sold in government regulated outlets and not every town will have one.

Comment

Got the job! 40% increase on UK rate! Hopefully should compensate for those high priced consumables

RIght do i drive over there or buy a car when i get there?

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
                    The difference is made up in the cost of property, which is cheap and most people own their own place. The wage structure is quite flat and egalitarian. The gap between the wages of the office cleaner and the MD is quite small by UK standards.
                    Red alert! Red alert!

As americans have their "american" dream can we talk about the "english" dream, or the illusion that you can become rich while in reality chances are very very tiny, if non existant?
                    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Working...
                    X