• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

back problems

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

back problems

woke up on saturday with sciatica(?)

feels awful

sent 40 mins waiting for the doctor.... 2 mins consultation... no examination
    now have a pocketful of drugs...

the pain is nuts
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SA - Is it like a dragons nostril?

I was diagnosed with a prolapsed cervical disc and was told I needed surgery (because of the location, they would have done it via the front of my neck, and leave an obvious scar!)

The pain was unbelievable and I took loads of painkillers and managed to go to work somehow, then would spend everynight surrounded by pillows, so I didn't turn over in the night.

A friend of mine suggested an accupunture, the woman treating me used needles and very hard chinese massage. The results were amazing, I had about seven treatments and eventually the disc healed.

I know accupuncure isn't for everyone, if you are needle-phobic, they can use moxa, just don't give up and don't believe a gp when they say you need surgery.

Comment

I really feel for you - 2 years ago had a really bad bout - followed by 2 more 6 months apart.

root cause was bottom 2 discs are knackered.

start with a physio - see if can help - then move onto MRI scan. you might find this helpful http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,,1774836,00.html . good you have pain killers - try to keep active!

for me pilates and losing weight have mostly cured my problems.

the very best of luck - I really really feel for you having been there.

keep us informed

Andy

Comment

I had back issues a few years ago, very painful, one of the bottom disc's were prolapsed. I had to have it cut away, as I was in danger of loosing the ability to walk After the op I will had lots of pain and tried several different methods all of them gave some comfort. Over time it gets better, you just have to watch what you do.
        SA says;
        Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
        (whatever these are)

Comment

Originally posted by kramer
          What's the name of the drugs? Dia-something-or-other?

Had back pain a while ago & the doc gave me some drugs. Sorted it out almost instantly, so I was planning on getting some of the drugs off the net just in case. Save on the time off for an appointment!

Comment

feels awful

the pain is nuts
            You had better be ship shape for friday?

Comment

Originally posted by Goya
              What's the name of the drugs? Dia-something-or-other?

Had back pain a while ago & the doc gave me some drugs. Sorted it out almost instantly, so I was planning on getting some of the drugs off the net just in case. Save on the time off for an appointment!
              Pain killers - Co Dydramol
              Anti inflammatory - Dicloflex

A doctor friend of mine saw the drugs I was taking and advised 2 things:
              1. Dont drink.
              2. Eat prunes - lots of them.

I've had the same problems - virtually unable to walk for a week in November. Physio and acupuncture worked for me - now embarking on "Core Stability" exrercises in an effort to prevent re-occurence.

Comment

feels awful

the pain is nuts
                Sleep on the floor. Uncomfortable at first but it will sort your back out in a few weeks. When you get home lie down (face up or down) do not sit up.
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Forget the pain killers - I agree with whoever came up with the accupuncture suggestion - would rather go to my accupuncturist than the doctor any day. Have had a bad back for years - tried Chiropractic but in some ways made it worse - Osteopathy is better but just seems to treat symptoms rather than the cause.

Comment

anyone know a decent accupuncture place i can go to in richmond during my lunch then?
                    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SA - Is it like a dragons nostril?

Comment

Working...
                    X