• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Driving to the Alps

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Driving to the Alps

Do many people drive to the Alps instead of plane, train, coach?

Fights seem to be in short supply for certain weekends and expensive! Plus you could have a 3 hour transfer to the resort.

I'm thinking of just getting a set of snow chains and going for it.

What do you call expensive and how many are going? The only Brits I ever see driving to the Alps are whole families in a VW Tourag or a Discovery, I don’t think I'd risk it in a FWD hatchback plus skiing is knackering enough without a 10 hour drive either end of the holiday!

The snow train isn't exactly cheap and even though you potentially get an extra day on the slopes you lose the weekend either end.

Dam, you got me thinking about it again now, the wife isn't bothered this year but I may try and talk her round.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Well there are only two of us going but flights on Easy Jet are coming out at £400 each and that's for the 1st week of April.

Might just wait for a late deal if I can't sort anything else out.

Comment

Depends where you are going.

Can't comment on France, but Austria and Italy are generaly quite easy driving.
        Unless there has been a ridiculous amount of snow the roads are kept in good driving conditions.

What are snow conditions like this year? If the resort you are going to is dodgy then having your own transport could be a boo.

Share the driving go Euro Tunnel. Peage across France. Easy peasy.

You will have to have snow chains. I would recomend winter tyrees. You also need to carry a warning triangle and spare bulbs. Sort your headlights out too. Don't forget the vignets for motorways (if required).
        I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
        Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by ~Craig~
          Well there are only two of us going but flights on Easy Jet are coming out at £400 each and that's for the 1st week of April.

Think of the Carbon! The Carbon!

Comment

Flew easyjet to grenoble then hired a car ( piece of s**t Fiat Punto) for 1.5 hour drive to Alpe D'huez. Used Tom Tom so no problems.

Snow a couple of days old so the road up was clear with no ice. 22 hairpins so wouldn't want to do it in bad conditions in that car. God knows how the tour de France guys cycle up . As the wife said with a wistful smile on her face "thighs of steel"

Didn't even need the snow chains, but better safe than sorry.

The point is you can drive there fine but don't try going up the mountain if its snowing hard unless you drive something designed for those conditions but as most of the workers do not live in the resort they make sure the road up is kept as clear as possible..

Comment

You can hire snow chains and winter tyres in the Alps. . If you are only going for a week or two a car journey works out expensive. You can hire a fully equipped car in the local resort and if you get CLD insurance you can use it a as a toboggan.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Are you limiting yourself to london airports? I always just get a late deal and have never paid more than £400 for flight and accomadation plus you get to choose when the weather is perfect, one year we got a catered chalet in Courchevel 1650 in february for £299 all in, fresh powder every night and sun every day fantastic!
                Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Easter school holidays what did you expect???

Comment

yeah maybe thats the way to go then. There must be loads of chartered flights going out there each week.

It's just having the balls to wait until the week before. I can just imagine the Mrs' face if we can't get anything

Comment

Working...
                    X