• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Snow Time...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snow Time...

Not as exciting as the title suggests - my client sent home his permy staff on Friday and said they would be paid for the full day, I left at about 13:00 but he's said I can be paid up till 16:00.

By taking this generous offer am I inadvertantly becoming "inside IR35" - I'm tempted to not invoice for this time just in case.
    Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Originally posted by Bluebird
    Not as exciting as the title suggests - my client sent home his permy staff on Friday and said they would be paid for the full day, I left at about 13:00 but he's said I can be paid up till 16:00.

By taking this generous offer am I inadvertantly becoming "inside IR35" - I'm tempted to not invoice for this time just in case.

what's YOUR charging policy?

IF you do take it then put on a note on the invoice that friday will be charged at a full days rate due to late notice by the client
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

I'd be inclined to turn it down if only to maintain a more professional and business-like relationship with the client. They're under no obligation to provide you with work for a certain number of hours, notice or not, and you didn't do the work.

On the other hand, it's money.

The day with all the gales a few weeks back I went home early when the power failed, and of course didn't charge for the time. I think the client felt bad about it, but that's the deal.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluebird
        No. Not in my book.

Anyway, it's rude not to accept someone's generousity
        Cats are evil.

Comment

Eh? Will Hector be able to tell by his accounting records that the permies were sent home on that day should an investigation occur?

You are joking right?

Comment

I tend to disagree. Client needs to at least provide 24 hrs notice if they do not have any work. Specially when you have a business-like relationship.

where I work, my client cancelled some consultants arriving on site to install their product (last minute), the company charged the client stating you need minimum of 24 hrs notice.

Besides, who in the world is going to know what happened on that Friday !!!

Comment

Originally posted by PAG
              I tend to disagree. Client needs to at least provide 24 hrs notice if they do not have any work. Specially when you have a business-like relationship.

where I work, my client cancelled some consultants arriving on site to install their product (last minute), the company charged the client stating you need minimum of 24 hrs notice.

Besides, who in the world is going to know what happened on that Friday !!!
              This is the MOO that you are (presumably) trying to avoid to be outside of IR35.

If you want to be inside IR35, take the money.

If you want to be outside, turn it down.

(OK, it's not quite that black and white)

tim

Comment

Really, if you accept the offer to "work from home" for the remainder of the day, surely this would be a pointer to being outside of IR35 - as you don't need to be in the office to egt the job done?

Comment

Originally posted by tim123
                  This is the MOO that you are (presumably) trying to avoid to be outside of IR35.

If you want to be inside IR35, take the money.

If you want to be outside, turn it down.

(OK, it's not quite that black and white)

tim
                  I am sorry but this is irrelevant of IR35, and I have read IR35 with great interest.

Comment

Originally posted by PAG
                    I am sorry but this is irrelevant of IR35, and I have read IR35 with great interest.
                    Rubbish.

Having a contract which pays you when you turn up to work, but don't actually work, creates the employer's half of MMO.

Having MMO is a positive pointer to being inside IR35.

tim

Comment

Working...
                    X