• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Whats this VMWare stuff all about?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whats this VMWare stuff all about?

What the hell is so special about this Virtual Machine stuff? Flash in the pan or going to take off?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Oh dear...

I've been using it for years to model client networks etc.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan
      What the hell is so special about this Virtual Machine stuff? Flash in the pan or going to take off?
      It's nothing for a trainee Crystal Reports 1.0 developer to worry about.

HTH

Comment

Virtual machines and VMWare ESX server are very handy bits of kit. Good for testing, QA labs, and pre-production setups. Wouldn't really recommend them for production environments - although some companies swear by them.

Comment

Originally posted by Back In Business
          Virtual machines and VMWare ESX server are very handy bits of kit. Good for testing, QA labs, and pre-production setups. Wouldn't really recommend them for production environments - although some companies swear by them.
          VMWare don't really seem to enthuse them for production. From a personal view I find them extremely good for developmemt. I run 4 VMs which represent the production environment on my notebook but find 2 problems:-

- The clock goes bonkers on my notebook
          - Performance. Whilst it takes an age to boot I have a performance issue on the real kit which I can't get to the arse of. On the VM it just doesn't happen. something to do with the networking.

It's really good being able to present with just my notebook in workshops without having to take a container load of kit halfway round the world.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB
            - The clock goes bonkers on my notebook
            AFAIK this is to do with the variable processor speed i.e. speedstep. No fix for it yet/ever.

Comment

Think of it like a Russian Doll, just with computers
              Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Originally posted by Back In Business
                Wouldn't really recommend them for production environments - although some companies swear by them.
                The V-Motion stuff is very cool though, it allows you to 'move' a VM from one 'real machine' to another while the VM is still 'up'. So for example if you want to replace a component o Server A you simply V-Motion over all the VM's on Server A to Server B, then take Server A down to do the upgrade, then move all the VM's back onto Server A from Server B.

That sort of thing is very good for production environments. Add to that dynamic allocation of resources (e.g. more memory when the load gets heavy) and you have a top notch production environment.

There is also Xen which is an up-and-coming competitor to VMWare, and I also hear good things about Virtuoso
                Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Don't forget Microsoft Virtual PC.

It is now FREE. That's right free.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/vir...loads/sp1.mspx

And for the server, Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 R2.Which is FREE as well. That's right free.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...e/default.mspx

Right Bill, where's my cut of the profits?

Comment

So can you run Windows on Linux on Windows on Linux etc.?

I've seen clients using VMs to test software for legacy OSs (i.e. Win95, 2K, XP Home), but I'd argue whilst it's better than nothing, it's not a real test.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X