• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

British children 'among Europe's unhappiest and unhealthiest'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

British children 'among Europe's unhappiest and unhealthiest'

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.as...ontentID=21350
    British kids have worst quality of life: UN
    14th February 2007, 12:00 WST

Britain is ranked last for childhood quality of life among industrialised nations, the UN Children's Fund (UNICEF) said in a report today.

The charity looked at 40 indicators to gauge the lives of children in 21 economically advanced nations, the first such study of its kind.

The study found Britain lagged behind on key measures of poverty and deprivation, health and safety, relationships, risk-taking and young people's own sense of well-being.

Britain received better ratings for education but languished in the bottom third for all other measures, giving it the lowest overall placing, along with the United States.

Child well-being was rated highest in northern Europe, with the Netherlands, Sweden and Denmark leading the list.

"All countries have weaknesses that need to be addressed and no country features in the top third of the rankings for all six dimensions," said David Bull, UNICEF UK's executive director.

The study found there was no consistent relationship between a country's wealth, as measured in gross domestic product per capita, and a child's quality of life.

The Czech Republic, for example, achieved a higher overall ranking than economically wealthier France.

"This report shows clearly that despite the UK's wealth, we are failing to give children the best possible start in life," said Colette Marshall, UK director of charity Save the Children.

She warned that "drastic action", including an injection of 4.5 billion pounds ($11.27 billion), was needed to meet a government target of halving the number of children in poverty by 2010.

A spokeswoman for Prime Minister Tony Blair's government said reforms introduced through the Every Child Matters initiative had helped to improve child welfare.

There were 700,000 fewer children living in relative poverty than in 1998/99, and the overall number living in absolute poverty had been halved, she said.

Albert Aynsley-Green, children's commissioner for England, acknowledged the government had made a significant investment in improving the lives of children but said the problems raised could not be solved by policy and funding alone.

"There is a crisis at the heart of our society and we must not continue to ignore the impact of our attitudes towards children and young people and the effect that this has on their well-being."

REUTERS
    Last edited by Francko; 14 February 2007, 09:28. Reason: took the wrong article :-)
    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

smallprint - this report is 8 years old

Comment

Why spend money on child welfare when we can have a war with Iran?

Sorry, I thought I was Tony Blair for a minute then.

Comment

Originally posted by foritisme
        Well thats OK then. The children the 8 year old report refer to must have grown into pillars of the community by now...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore
          Well thats OK then. The children the 8 year old report refer to must have grown into pillars of the community by now...

Yep, they are just waiting outside your parking space in their hoodies to knick your stereo.
          I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6360517.stm

How come the Cloggies have got it so good then?
            I'm not so think as you drunk I am...

Comment

Well, knowing quite a bit about it, essentially the tax system encourages families with children in the Netherlands, well, most of the rest of Europe actually. Example in Denmark I know a hospital cleaner who can afford to send her daughter to a private school, oh and I know a council gardener who sends all 6 of his to several private schools. I digress, back to the Netherlands: where my business interests are is a very religious area, but nevertheless, it is an odd family where mother goes out to work as well as the father. There again, I got told off for doing some gardening one Sunday morning, and they only started having car insurance a few years ago, as it was made compulsory, previously "God will provide" sufficed.
              Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
              threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by foritisme
                It's a bit more recent than that...
                Unicef looked at 40 indicators from the years 2000-2003 including poverty, family relationships, and health.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
                  Well, knowing quite a bit about it, essentially the tax system encourages families with children in the Netherlands, well, most of the rest of Europe actually. Example in Denmark I know a hospital cleaner who can afford to send her daughter to a private school, oh and I know a council gardener who sends all 6 of his to several private schools. I digress, back to the Netherlands: where my business interests are is a very religious area, but nevertheless, it is an odd family where mother goes out to work as well as the father. There again, I got told off for doing some gardening one Sunday morning, and they only started having car insurance a few years ago, as it was made compulsory, previously "God will provide" sufficed.
                  NuLieBour were actively pushing subsidised child care for working mothers not too long ago but they have gone quiet recently as reports and surveys have started appearing saying its not a good idea. It's a difficult and very touchy subject to bring up as a lot of people are farming out their kids at a very young age to pay their big mortgages. A lot of kids can probably cope without issues but some I'm sure do suffer.

Comment

Economy

I think the fact that all surveys about a countries prosperity seem to focus on financial output above all else.

We pour scorn on sluggish Eurozone economies but at the end of the day it appears that they do value family more than in the UK and have the legislation and tax regime to back that up.

People respond to economic incentives and as mentioned here, at the lower end of the scale we have major incentives not to work and major incentives for a female single parenthood.

New Labour have not really destroyed the family unit but they have "disincetivised" it. I think the major problem is as well is that, as with welfare dependence from unemployment, once the individual is in this situation of being dependant on childcare benefits its not easy to get out of that.

"Relative poverty" , the much vaunted NL concept that they claim to have reduced so drastically, AFAIK is based on household income and has nothing to do with the physcological welfare or contentment and happiness.

In less prosperous countries there seems to be more evidence of nuclear families but I would imagine this is through necessity and not choice.

If it is accepted that a nuclear family is, on average the best environment for a child then it possible that household income has less of an effect on childrens properity than NL like to think.

I see at the end of that piece the NL mouth pieces are lamenting "our" attitudes towards children and maintaining that this is not a problem that can be solved by policy and funding alone.

I find this statement ludicrous in the extreme as it is largely governement policy that has created this problem in the first place.

True to form they appear to be blaming the electorate for responding to the incentives that they have created.
                    There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think

Comment

Working...
                    X