• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Just returning your call... to the UK

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just returning your call... to the UK

A consumer backlash against foreign call centres has led some companies to return operations to the UK. After all the talk of lower costs, where did it all go wrong?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6353491.stm
    Choose a job you love and you will never have to work a day in your life

Originally posted by oloks
    where did it all go wrong?
    never underestimate pikey xenophobia

I've spent hours on the phone to foreign call centers and never had a problem with either their english or their accent or their ability to understand me.
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet

I've spent hours on the phone to foreign call centers and never had a problem with either their english or their accent or their ability to understand me.

You're either a fibber or you dont ring them as often as I do. They are appauling and i find communication an issue as well as their ability to deal with a problem effectively due to the fact they're 5000 miles away from the problems source. They have a script and if you deviate from it they're f*cked, it's not being racist it's just the fact English isnt their first language. Theres loads of outsourcing to Bratislava and it's the same problem there, showers of sh*t the lot of them.

Comment

i used to have tiscali as my broadband supplier - had connection problems and had to go through their indian call center to resolve it. Spent over an hour on the phone going through all the possible causes at my end without a hitch.

Yeah they work from a script, most call centers do no matter where they're based (UK or abroad) its a lot cheaper to employ an untrained monkey to go through a script than to employ someone with technical knowledge. I've had to use UK call centers to get server support, again that was scripted, no willingness to deviate.
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

It went wrong when the directors put shareholders before customers. They were then followed by directors who could not think for themselves like sheep, baaaa, now they are all paying the price for not thinking for themselves.

Customers, such an undervalued stakeholders in business these – they’ll learn the hard way.

It’s a local problem requiring a local solution you IT people want to control the world with script!!
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

i used to have tiscali as my broadband supplier - had connection problems and had to go through their indian call center to resolve it. Spent over an hour on the phone going through all the possible causes at my end without a hitch.

Yeah they work from a script, most call centers do no matter where they're based (UK or abroad) its a lot cheaper to employ an untrained monkey to go through a script than to employ someone with technical knowledge. I've had to use UK call centers to get server support, again that was scripted, no willingness to deviate.

It was always a non starter for me, as soon as they answer the call and fekin lie about themselves being called tommy.
            whats the lowest you can do this for?

Comment

I'm also a tiscal broadband user and found them absolutely useless when I had an email problem. These were the steps they suggested to solve the problem

1. Check outlook settings (fair enough, even I told them nothing had changed
              2. Reinstall Outlook !!
              3. Contact Microsoft so they could solve problem with outlook !!!!!

The problem was that they were upgrading their email servers - I found this out from an English call centre who dealt with people who wanted to disconnect.

Comment

I am neither a 'pikey' nor a xenophobe but have had plenty of problems with offshored call centers.

While their accent might be passable, on the surface, their grasp of the English language is generally poor. They are taught to follow a script (with conditionals, like a flowchart) and cannot deviate from it.

If your problem doesn't fit the predetermined path then forget it!

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

When offshore call centres were first being used, and before we signed up to the Telephone Preference Service, we used to get lots of cold calls from people with obviously Indian accents, but using British sounding names like Derek, Angela, etc.

I swear, one day I got a phone call from one of them, and he said his name was Morgan McKenna.

Comment

I don't trust them Johnny Foreigners.
                    Call the cops

Comment

Working...
                    X