• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You really want to buy Vista?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You really want to buy Vista?

From The Register;

The most prominent feature of Windows Vista is its cost. So, before we get into the nuts and bolts of how it behaves, let's talk about value for money. Because at these prices, it had better be good.

The stand-alone version of Vista Ultimate retails for €600, or $780 here in Ireland. Amazon.com is selling this $780 version to Americans for $380. Or, to put it another way, Europeans are subsidising Americans by $400 on every copy they buy.

Bill Gates tried to explain this anomaly during a BBC TV interview by claiming that Microsoft "tries to keep prices largely in line country by country." Bill said that he had "not followed how the exchange rates made that drift", and added that rates "can go out of alignment as currencies go up or down".

Apparently, Bill's minders had neglected to prep him for that question, because if he understood even the basic principles behind currency exchange rates, he would have known that the "drift" would make Vista cheaper in Europe. The American $380 stand-alone Vista Ultimate package would retail here for €292 plus VAT, not €600 with VAT. So obviously, there's some monkey business going on with the price, and Bill isn't fooling anyone.

The rest The full article

I'll stick with Linux / KDE
    Me, me, me...

You can buy Vista Ultimate in the UK (OEM) for £105 + VAT ready to install on your new rig.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...odid=SW-041-MS

Cheap as chips.

Oh, and almost all who have used it give it 5 stars.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...-041-MS&tool=3

Must be rubbish then.
    Last edited by _V_; 14 February 2007, 19:31.
    First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by _V_
      The astroturfers must be out in force then. I have yet to see a positive review from an independent source.

I am also yet to see anyone provide a list of new features that Vista has over XP except more eye-candy and an annoying "security" dialogue box. Care to oblige?
      Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

CB, don't sweat it. M$ are doomed mate. Everyone switching to Linux and the Mac. This time next year M$ will be filing for bankruptcy.

Just because normal users and business users want to give it 5 stars and say it's the dog danglies, don't mean a thing.

Comment

No-one would seriously give it 5 stars if they are paying a couple of hundred quid for no new features. So what are they giving it 5 stars for?
          Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Tell me Bob, what features were people paying for going from Win 2K to XP? Did XP suddenly give them a whole host of things they couldn't do in Win 2K on the desktop?

It's evolutionary not revolutionary.

Comment

As DP has said, the best thing anyone can do is move to a Mac (or Linux) as soon as possible.

OS X 10.0, 10.1, 10.2, 10.3, 10.4, 10.5, look what you can get in just a few years, no upgrade costs, cheap as chips and each adds hundreds of new features which you would never find on Windows...and did I forget to mention, costs you absolutely nothing to upgrade and is fully backward compatible with all previous versions.

Comment

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/29/w...rt-1-software/

Pretty much everything has been improved.

Comment

Originally posted by _V_
                  You can buy Vista Ultimate in the UK (OEM) for £105 + VAT ready to install on your new rig.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...odid=SW-041-MS

Cheap as chips.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...-041-MS&tool=3

Must be rubbish then.

What's the catch ? Can I install it on my existing laptop ?

What I find really annoying is that I have a couple of 'dodgy' XP virtual guest machines. I rebuild these often as I'm using a corporate key so no problem. But I heard Vista will 'phone home' and if I have the retail/OEM licence: I'll only be allowed to install to one machine. **** that.

Open Source ....

Comment

All the 'new' features that Vista offers I've already had for the past 2 years in Linux / KDE without all the annoying sh1t.

I've never had a problem with drivers and considering I use my Linux box to drive my recording studio which is pretty demanding, I find no need to actually spend money on any Microshaft product.

Jump in here and froth at the mouth any time bogeyman.
                    Me, me, me...

Comment

Working...
                    X