• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Vinyl to MP3

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vinyl to MP3

Has any one used one of these USB turntables?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?...DOY=14m2&c=dow

are they any good or is there a better way of getting my old singles on to my iPOD?

Use a proper turntable and connect to your computer via an amp and the line in on your sound card. Those USB things are sh!te quality and are just toys really.
    Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob
      Use a proper turntable and connect to your computer via an amp and the line in on your sound card. Those USB things are sh!te quality and are just toys really.
      Agreed, reasonable quality turntables are cheap and easy to find and will do a much better job than a USB effort. A good diamond stylus is a must though.

I have a turntable - amp - external CD recorder setup which allows me to pause between tracks which I burn to a rewritable CD and tidy up on the PC before mastering. That means getting rid of pops, crackles and hiss before commiting to a final MP3 or CD.
      Me, me, me...

Comment

Unfortunaltely many laptops don't have a Line In, just Mic. That is a different voltage and is not properly balanced for Line either. If you have a good vinyl collection and a good player, you might want to get a USB sound card.

I have one called "Muse", almost appropriate except I don't have any Muse on vinyl!

Comment

Originally posted by expat
          I have one called "Muse", almost appropriate except I don't have any Muse on vinyl!
          Has there ever been any Muse on vinyl?

Comment

Originally posted by expat
            Unfortunaltely many laptops don't have a Line In, just Mic. That is a different voltage and is not properly balanced for Line either. If you have a good vinyl collection and a good player, you might want to get a USB sound card.
            I've never seen a laptop without line in, though I've seen them without mic in (my MacBook has no mic in, but has line in). Are you sure you're not getting it the wrong way round? Since laptops have built in condenser mics they'd forego the mic in I'd have assumed.

Or, as you said, get a USB input box. M-audio stuff is pretty good, though may be a tad expensive unless you're a pro.
            Last edited by Cowboy Bob; 15 February 2007, 08:14.

Comment

Hmm, sounds like a good excuse to treat myself. Have always fancied a Technics SL1210, frustrated DJ etc
              Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Oh yeah, you'll need something to remove the hiss and crackle as well. The best program I've found for this is Gnome Wave Cleaner for Linux. I'd recommend downloading the free VMWare Player and an Ubuntu virtual appliance to get it going.

Comment

proper turntable and amp is better but the usb connectors are not that bad. i found the quality perfectly acceptable. the process of playing, recording, cleaning and uploading is quite time consuming. a labour of love.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                    Plays 78s.

Feck.

I feel even older...
                    if you bought the 78's when they came out - you have a right to feel that way.
                    Last edited by DS23; 15 February 2007, 09:08.

Comment

Working...
                    X