• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Which Digital Camera

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Digital Camera

OK, so I'm off to Vietnam for 12 days in May and Mexico / Peru for 14 days in the summer, I currently have a Finepix 5mega pixle camera with 4 optical zoom but want to upgrade.

So I'm considering a digital SLR, what would people recomend ? or would I be better with something much smaller ?? I do need to be able to hold lots of pictures as I won't be able to download onto a PC.

Price is not such an issue....
    SA says;
    Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
    (whatever these are)

Originally posted by n5gooner
    OK, so I'm off to Vietnam for 12 days in May and Mexico / Peru for 14 days in the summer, I currently have a Finepix 5mega pixle camera with 4 optical zoom but want to upgrade.

So I'm considering a digital SLR, what would people recomend ? or would I be better with something much smaller ?? I do need to be able to hold lots of pictures as I won't be able to download onto a PC.

Price is not such an issue....
    Digital SLRs have come down in price and I seriously recommend getting one rather than a compact camera.

The Nikon D40 gets good reviews and is a pretty good price, if your willing to spend more then go ahead.
    And get the camera as soon as possible so you can get used to it before you go!
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

EOS 400D combined with a SIGMA 18-125mm lens. Can't beat it.

Comment

avforums.com
        Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

I have two DSLRs Both canon 10d/300d. Excellent cameras, excellent quality (depending upon lens of course !)

The only thing I would say against them in your circumstance is that they can be inconvenient, in that which lenses to buy and which lenses to take. I usually take both out with me (one with a wide lens the other telephoto) - but would be a pain for a holiday trip.

If you are after shots that look good on the PC and are not too interested at getting A3 prints from them then I would suggest you look at the sigma lenses (28-300mm), these are not top quality but the newer ones are more than adequate and will give better results than a compact. This way you will have one lens that should cover nearly all your needs.

Comment

ps you will get around 200 photos in fine jpeg mode from a 6MP camera on a 1Gig compact flash card.

Comment

If you don't want to go all the way for a digital SLR I bought myself a Panasonic LX1 recently and am very happy with it. It's a compact camera with most SLR features (ability to set exposure manually, change metering modes etc). I think it is the only camera of any type that shoots natively in 16:9 format.

Comment

The panasonics have excellent lenses !

Comment

Originally posted by foritisme
                  I have two DSLRs Both canon 10d/300d. Excellent cameras, excellent quality (depending upon lens of course !)

The only thing I would say against them in your circumstance is that they can be inconvenient, in that which lenses to buy and which lenses to take. I usually take both out with me (one with a wide lens the other telephoto) - but would be a pain for a holiday trip.

If you are after shots that look good on the PC and are not too interested at getting A3 prints from them then I would suggest you look at the sigma lenses (28-300mm), these are not top quality but the newer ones are more than adequate and will give better results than a compact. This way you will have one lens that should cover nearly all your needs.

mmm yes I would be looking to get prints for some shots on A4/A3 paper. so is it Nikkon or Canon ?? and would you recomend shotting in jpeg or raw ?? physically how big is a 28-300mm lense?
                  SA says;
                  Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                  (whatever these are)

Comment

Depends on the lens. For A3 prints the 400d @ 10mpixel will see you right.

I use this 28-300mm lens - http://www.ephotozine.com/equipment/...fm?test_id=493

Also this for shorter range work - http://www.ephotozine.com/equipment/...fm?test_id=377

Both have a inner focus so can be used with filters (you'll want a uv filter on there (£10) just to protect the lens glass and reduce haze on photos).

Bear in mind that the 400d is a cropped sensor (1.6 factor) so you have to times the lens focal lengths by 1.6 so the 28-300 zoon could see you getting somewhere close to 16-17x zoom (45-480mm)

Most dSLRs that are not stupid money are cropped sensor.

Comment

Working...
                    X