• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Coding Off Days!!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coding Off Days!!!

Do you ever have really bad coding days where you think "what the hell am I doing wrong?!!"

I dont know much techie wise, but in the area of what I do, I am sh*t hot. And I can knock up a report in 2 minutes that might take someone else a couple of days. Seriously!

Yesterday afternoon I was stuck though - I had a report which was based on a SQL statement which called a PL/SQL package, and somewhere along the line it just wasn't working!
    I had all the code disected, at one piont I deleted it all with frustration and wrote it all from scratch again - same problem.

Came in this morning and looked at it through fresh eyes.....and you know what I'd done? Put a fricken > instead of a <

I'd even done the same mistake when I re-wrote it all!!!! What a numpty
    Last edited by SallyAnne; 15 February 2007, 09:29.
    The pope is a tard.

ha! ha! Yeah, but it's a great feeling when you find the cause is something so trivial....like having a pee after 5 pints...

Nice bug solve SA!

Comment

Originally posted by SallyAnne
      I write all my code in notepad like - I dont know why. I cant be doing with these tools that indent for you and make all your comments green and stuff.

Comment

Feck me no wonder the work is going to India. Use a decent editor (like VS.NET 2005) that has built in refactoring tools, intellisense, debuggers, etc.

If you can't find one out of place char in a small bit of SQL, what chance have you when you do some real IT?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
          Feck me no wonder the work is going to India. Use a decent editor (like VS.NET 2005) that has built in refactoring tools, intellisense, debuggers, etc.

If you can't find one out of place char in a small bit of SQL, what chance have you when you do some real IT?

How would an editor have known I meant to check for greater than rather than less than? Are there psychic editors out there now like?
          The pope is a tard.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife

Do you have to remember every little thing?
            The pope is a tard.

Comment

How would an editor have known I meant to check for greater than rather than less than? Are there psychic editors out there now like?
              Your complete coverage of UNIT TESTS would have picked up logic errors, all handled for you in any professional editor.

You DO write all the unit tests BEFORE coding don't you?

You DO have your code peer reviewed for errors?

Or do you just hack code and hope it is correct?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
                Your complete coverage of UNIT TESTS would have picked up logic errors, all handled for you in any professional editor.

You DO write all the unit tests BEFORE coding don't you?

You DO have your code peer reviewed for errors?

Or do you just hack code and hope it is correct?
                In this case a < or > wouldn't have flagged as a logic error.

Testing and test script writing where I'm working is done by a sperate team , however I test my own code as I write it (hence finding the error).

Also, no they dont peer review here, but even if they did it wouldn't have been at that stage. I wouldn't pass code over for review unless I'd tested it fully myself.

Oh, and get with the times you old fart - no one calls it unit testing these days
                The pope is a tard.

Comment

What do they call unit testing now then?

Comment

Came in this morning and looked at it through fresh eyes.....and you know what I'd done? Put a fricken > instead of a <

I'd even done the same mistake when I re-wrote it all!!!! What a numpty
                    Explain to the manager that you are overqualified to do any coding and that it is such a big waste to utilise a creative mind as yourself in lower margin implementation activities. Insist that you have "business" skills. Schedule a meeting where you bring your new architecture diagram shifting towards the SAA (SallyAnneArchitecture) paradigm. Tell the client that they have to embrace the new trend now before it's too late.
                    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Working...
                    X