• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone own a house and rent elsewhere?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone own a house and rent elsewhere?

Already own the current house outright - bought at sensible price and paid it off asap.

We'd like to move somewhere else in a few years so that kids can get the benefit - but don't want a huge mortgage or to save up hard forever (probably just for a deposit) - you get the idea.

Would the esteemed financial experts on here think it prudent to just rent somewhere nice and rent out the current property, thereby retaining a place in the housing market and getting cash in to cover a big chunk of our rent?

Originally posted by Shimano105
    Already own the current house outright - bought at sensible price and paid it off asap.

We'd like to move somewhere else in a few years so that kids can get the benefit - but don't want a huge mortgage or to save up hard forever (probably just for a deposit) - you get the idea.

Would the esteemed financial experts on here think it prudent to just rent somewhere nice and rent out the current property, thereby retaining a place in the housing market and getting cash in to cover a big chunk of our rent?
    It's a bad idea because you will pay tax on the rental income from your no mortage property ( ie. a normal BTL setup deducts the interest charges on the mortage from the rent ). And also after 3 years your no mortage property would start to become liable for atleast some Capital Gains Tax if and when you sold it as it would not be your Principle Private Residence.

Comment

How many years are you planning to live in the other house? If it is more than 3 years, sell up and buy elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
        How many years are you planning to live in the other house? If it is more than 3 years, sell up and buy elsewhere.
        or 6 months before selling the first house, 'move' back with your name on some bills so it becomes you primiary residence... and exempt from CGT
        SA says;
        Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
        (whatever these are)

Comment

You then have the house sitting empty for at least 6 months as you pretend you live there. Can't have you pretending you live there if there are tenants there.

Also, a mate of mine rented his home whilst he and his family worked in the USA. Cam back and the place was ruined. And that was a "professional" renting there.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
            You then have the house sitting empty for at least 6 months as you pretend you live there. Can't have you pretending you live there if there are tenants there.

Also, a mate of mine rented his home whilst he and his family worked in the USA. Cam back and the place was ruined. And that was a "professional" renting there.

Yes I've had students trash a place, so don't have them any more, but if the 6 months sitting empty is costs you less than your CGT liabilty then its worth doing, you can also do it with tennants there give them an incentice to have you name on the water bill......
            SA says;
            Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
            (whatever these are)

Comment

Originally posted by n5gooner
              or 6 months before selling the first house, 'move' back with your name on some bills so it becomes you primiary residence... and exempt from CGT
              Currently doing something similar at the moment, if you want to play it safe you need to be paying council tax there and also on the electoral register.

Comment

Originally posted by Shimano105

I own my home and let it, while renting where I’m contracted to. Yes I pay tax but less expenses. Not my prime res now obviously will occupy at some point when nearing selling. I've no idea of the future may just keep it as an income to supplement my pension.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                X