• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

External Hard Drive

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

External Hard Drive

I have this great external hard drive/ card reader , but suddenly its not working i.e. when I plug it into any laptop USB port it does not detect the hard drive bit, but it detects the card reader.

Is there anything I could do? or do I just go and buy a new external hard drive?

Try a another computer?

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet
      Try a another computer.

have already tried a couple of laptops.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthRoute55
        have already tried a couple of laptops.
        Sounds like it's dead then...
        Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob
          Sounds like it's dead then...

I don't mind buying a new one, only I have some data on this external hard drive that I'd like to retrieve... any ideas?

Comment

Whats the HDD inside the USB caddy?

Try and buy the same again and then take the drive out and put it into the new one and hope that the controller in the USB was gone not the drive.

If it is a standard drive access it that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet
              Whats the HDD inside the USB caddy?

Try and buy the same again and then take the drive out and put it into the new one and hope that the controller in the USB was gone not the drive.

If it is a standard drive access it that way.

just tried another USB cable - still the same mistake

Comment

If the HDD spins up then at least the head and platters are not knack’d. At this point I’d power it down and take it to a data recovery company. Get them to retrieve the data while you wait. If you’re thinking about another ext HDD, the dinky units by LaCie are pretty good…
                "My God, it's huge!!"

Comment

Originally posted by SouthRoute55
                  I have this great external hard drive/ card reader , but suddenly its not working i.e. when I plug it into any laptop USB port it does not detect the hard drive bit, but it detects the card reader.

Is there anything I could do? or do I just go and buy a new external hard drive?
                  Remove the hard drive from the caddy and attach it as a slave drive to your computer - you'll need a desktop comp with an IDE cable. (You'll need to set the jumpers on the drive to make sure it is a slave and not a primary).

That is the best way to eliminate any issues with the caddy and connection within/to/from the caddy.

If your BIOS in the computer can't see the disk as a secondray hard drive, then you'll need to start thinking about data recovery companies. If your BIOS sees it, try browsing for the disk in Windows explorer. If the disk is ok, you should see all your data and be able to copy it.

If the BIOS recognises the disk but you can't see it in Windows, there's still a good chance of being able to get the data with appropriate software tools.
                  Last edited by martinb; 15 February 2007, 13:10.

Comment

OK - solved it, was told (by my son) that card readers do not require power to be detected, hence if the laptop is detecting the card reader but not the HDD storage, the problem may be in the problem may be in the power, what do ya know, changed the fuse and its working now.

Comment

Working...
                    X