• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

My Revised Contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Revised Contract

Is now finalised and is a Globally based role and the software solution I have written for one region is to be scaled up (and yes it's scaleable) and to be rolled out worldwide.

I have even been told to find and put a team together from scratch to do it.

Result.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Plenty of code hackers on here. As long as you don't expect quality, they are much cheapness, plenty quickness.

Comment

'and the software solution I have written for one region is to be scaled up ',

oh dear,

you mean

two IIS's (load balanced) and a sql server 2005 database behind

lol

congrats MF

Milan.

Comment

It's incredible what you can do with a Crystal Report, an Access MDB file and a few VB Scripts on an old Pentium Pro in the corner.

Well done MF. You've done something and not been fired. I'm impressed.

Comment

Remember the important thing is that a Graduate will be able to read and understand the code in 10 years time, so plenty of comments and code reviews (After every line written). Sack anyone who doesn't stick to the naming standards (Even if they produced an algorithm that make the app run 20x faster).

Comment

In 10 years time, the computers will run a 100x faster, so who cares if your code runs in 3ms and the well written structured code takes 60ms?

What's important in 10 years, is that an IT person that costs a company £1000/day minimum in 10 years time, doesn't spend 10x times longer trying to fathom your non-standard, unstructured, uncommented, unreadable, unreliable, unsupportable, unmaintainable, unextendable, unreviewed, untested spaghetti that you thought was "clever".

Hack amateurs in a professionals world.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
              In 10 years time, the computers will run a 100x faster, so who cares if your code runs in 3ms and the well written structured code takes 60ms?
              Year 2007 -
              Client: The application is very slow, why is that?
              Dim: Oh don't worry wait 10 years and it will run at a decent speed.
              Client: But in 10 years it will probably have been replaced 5 times and our company might not exist then!

That night:
              Agent: Hi Dim, i'm afraid Ive got bad news......

Anyway, I agree that code has to be structured well written and maintainable, but it has to be balanced with the needs of the project and not limit the programmer. If good names for methods, types and variables etc are chosen then the code should be clear, I also agree with you that if writing an API then these things become paramount.

Comment

Do you know the difference between performance and scalability?

What do you think is more important, a high performance piece of code or a scalable solution?

I'll let that be your homework for today.

Comment

Do you know the difference between performance and scalability?

What do you think is more important, a high performance piece of code or a scalable solution?

I'll let that be your homework for today.
                  I assume you get performance with scalability - put my Access database on a bigger box and Bob's your Uncle.

Comment

Plenty of code hackers on here. As long as you don't expect quality, they are much cheapness, plenty quickness.
                    Or you could pick a select few and they could take 6 months to produce one little program. But it would have been extensively peer reviewed, and you could be assured it would be to the highest standard and fully commented.
                    The pope is a tard.

Comment

Working...
                    X