• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Help for newbie

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help for newbie

My 20 year old son was made redundant 2 weeks ago from his first and only job.
    He was offered a contract for 4-6 weeks thro a job agency who insist he signs up with Giant. I have read his contract and am confused................most of it is standard b******t but I don't understand why he has to give notice to Giant - not just to the assignment.

Please can somebody explain it in easy language to me. He started work on Monday so he needs to either sign or reject the contract soooooon.

If it makes a difference he does not want to be a contractor long term - but this was too good an opportunity to miss.

Thanks

Mum

Originally posted by mum
    He was offered a contract for 4-6 weeks thro a job agency who insist he signs up with Giant. I have read his contract and am confused................most of it is standard b******t but I don't understand why he has to give notice to Giant - not just to the assignment.

Please can somebody explain it in easy language to me. He started work on Monday so he needs to either sign or reject the contract soooooon.

If it makes a difference he does not want to be a contractor long term - but this was too good an opportunity to miss.

Thanks

Mum

by starting he has excepted the contract I'm afraid, also name and shame the agency. They should not be insisting who your son should contract through
    whats the lowest you can do this for?

Comment

Originally posted by mum

Thanks

Mum
      He's not a contractor, he's a very naughty boy!

Comment

Originally posted by HankWangford
        by starting he has excepted the contract I'm afraid, also name and shame the agency. They should not be insisting who your son should contract through
        Accepted
        The pope is a tard.

Comment

Originally posted by SallyAnne
          Accepted
          fleety??

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
            He's not a contractor, he's a very naughty boy!

He is in my opinion too young to start contracting - this is more of a temp assignment till he finds a job with some training attached.....................but why is he a naughty boy?

Comment

Having started might actually work in his favour if he doesn't want to use Giant
              (a) if he's already started making the end client happy, the agency would probably rather lose whatever kickback they're getting from Giant than lose your boy's revenue-generating services
              (b) Hank's right, starting working to the contract is as good as signing it, but if Giant's not mentioned it makes them easy to cut out.

I'm not an umbrella contractor so don't know exactly what the notice period is about, but if Giant's going to be his employer then I suppose they'd want a few weeks notice if he was going to quit them.

If you can combine card (a) with a bit of pressure coming back down from the end client too, you can probably dispense with Giant. What's the worst that could happen? He has to move back in with you for a couple of weeks before starting the whole process again with a bit more knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by mum
                He is in my opinion too young to start contracting - this is more of a temp assignment till he finds a job with some training attached.....................but why is he a naughty boy?

never too young. What does he do, also I'd get onto the agency. Dont take no shat from them, advising who to contract through is akin to you telling them to bank with the bank of india

Comment

Originally posted by mum
                  Not a Monty Python fan, are you?

"I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I was 20 when I started contracting.

But yes, I am a complete winger and ten years down the line I have long abandoned any hope of getting a permanent job with anybody else.

Comment

Working...
                    X