• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

nationwide want a reference

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nationwide want a reference

from my agency before theyll give me a mortgage. Is being a contractor a problem for nationwide? My brother is a contractor and got his mortgage fine through halifax no references asked for. Or is it just me?

How do you get paid? If it's umbrella they should do it, if you're ltd write them a letter.

Nationwide are way behind with their system, I needed to extend my mortgage last year to have the roof replaced on my house and the idea of contracting was an alien concept to them and they had no way of entering my details, when it came to profession they had 'blacksmith', 'miner' and 'carpenter' but nothing to do with IT.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by churkus
      from my agency before theyll give me a mortgage. Is being a contractor a problem for nationwide? My brother is a contractor and got his mortgage fine through halifax no references asked for. Or is it just me?
      My agency did one for me no probs

Comment

Britannia were the same, just give them the agency ref and crack on you are an employee, saves the headache!
        The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

It's because idiot IT Contractors say "I'm self employed".

You are not self employed.

In terms of getting mortgage or whatever, you are an employee of a ltd company.

Just put your co's name and registered address or correspondence address of your ltd.

It's fecking simple! I've done it on umpteen credit cards, mortgages in the past.

Comment

My brother is a contractor and got his mortgage fine through halifax no references asked for. Or is it just me?
            Funny that, a mate of mine bagged a Halifax mortgage last year and had to have a agency reference and provide accounts etc etc...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

I believe as a company director you can self cert until your heart's (or your IFA's heart's) content.

Assuming you're not buying a property for £500,000 with a 100% mortgage.

In which case they'd never believe you were a contractor.
              If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

If want hassle at the bank, say you are self employed but you are on PAYE and not schedule E, and you use and agency, and blah blah. You'll end up in a right mess.

Just stick your ltd down. They pay your salary. If they want a reference on finances, give them the name of the co sec / accountant and warn them to expect a call about a mortgage.

Bank calls / writes asking "Is this person legit? Is it true they earn £90K pa.". Answer = yes.

It all goes through, no confusion and everyones a winner.

It ain't rocket science !!!

PS It's like some of you like to make everyone life complex. The aim is to get the mortgage with the least amount of delay / hassle / confusion. Banks like to tick boxes and deal with Mr & Mrs Norm, not hear about the confusing status of an owner / director / paye / shareholder IT Contractor.
                Last edited by DimPrawn; 16 February 2007, 17:32.

Comment

Really, self cert is the easiest way to do it.

Self Cert help from moneyfacts

And from this board:

http://www.contractoruk.com/money/
                  If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn

Just stick your ltd down. They pay your salary. If they want a reference on finances, give them the name of the co sec / accountant and warn them to expect a call about a mortgage.

Bank calls / writes asking "Is this person legit? Is it true they earn £90K pa.". Answer = yes.

It all goes through, no confusion and everyones a winner.

It ain't rocket science !!!

The advice you are giving doesn't work with some building societies, they want an independant employer ref FACT!
                    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Working...
                    X