• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PCG Insurance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PCG Insurance

Sorry for the newbie question... I've recently started this contracting malarkey so I'm still finding my feet.

I need professional indemnity and public liability insurance and have found quotes around £25 to £30 a month. I keep seeing PCG mentioned but I'm not sure what I should do or whether I can get the above insurance via PCG?

I've been looking on their site and it seems there is an annual fee of £120+VAT for standard membership or £220+VAT for PCGPlus. There is a link that details "discounted professional indemnity and public liability insurance" but I need to be a member to see the details.

Can anybody recommend me what I should do?

Should I just get insurance cover for what I need for £25 a month, or should I join PCG (and what would this cost?).

Thanks.
    Last edited by pfeds; 19 February 2007, 13:11. Reason: typo

Can't say at mo while away but if you look in at weekend I will give details of the one I use.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Never needed it.

Comment

Randell Dorling and Freelance Insure are the companies that the PCG have preferential rates negotiated with.

Joining PCG won't save you that much on the insurance (about 10%), but joining is a good idea anyway as the guides, tax investigation insurance and other stuff are well worth it.

You might want to check whether you really need professional indemnity insurance. Although lots of agents (and clients) state this as a requirement, in practice the level of checking is minimal and the level of enforcement is virtually nil. I would recommend waiting until the client/agency asks to see a certificate before buying the policy....
        Last edited by XLMonkey; 20 February 2007, 12:34.
        Plan A is located just about here.
        If that doesn't work, then there's always plan B

Comment

Hi all, I have decided to get a PCG membership but having difficulty in deciding either to go for standard or plus

Basically the only thing that interest me in the PCGPlus is the PAYE Audit cover and some of what it entails really, seem to be in the standard membership unless I am mistaken

Can anyone give clearity on why the PCGplus (only PAYE Audit Cover is of importance) is better than standard membership or should i just go for standard membership. I certainly dont think I am doing anything illegal to fear the taxman, I operate a PAYE. the only place where there could be any potential problems ( same for most people I guess) is IR35 arguments with the tax man. Surely the standard membership should contain everything to help me when there is an IR35 investigation ?

cheers

css_jay99

Comment

PCG standard covers you for the costs of an IR35 investigation. PCGPlus covers you for the costs of a PAYE audit that might lead to an IR35 investigation, but is more likely not to if done properly. So the extra £90 a year potentially saves an awful lot of grief and extra heartache by minimising the risk of an investigation, with the average IR35 case running at around 30 months and costing around £10k. And don't ignore free Jury Service cover either if you ever need it, it is very valuable. The rest of the Plus package is window dressing.

Like all insurances, it's a risk assessment. A lot of people (about one third, from memory) think it's worth it.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Try here!:

http://www.contractoralliance.co.uk/

Originally posted by pfeds
              Sorry for the newbie question... I've recently started this contracting malarkey so I'm still finding my feet.

I need professional indemnity and public liability insurance and have found quotes around £25 to £30 a month. I keep seeing PCG mentioned but I'm not sure what I should do or whether I can get the above insurance via PCG?

I've been looking on their site and it seems there is an annual fee of £120+VAT for standard membership or £220+VAT for PCGPlus. There is a link that details "discounted professional indemnity and public liability insurance" but I need to be a member to see the details.

Can anybody recommend me what I should do?

Should I just get insurance cover for what I need for £25 a month, or should I join PCG (and what would this cost?).

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Contractor UK

Absolutely shameless Mr Admin

Comment

Originally posted by Contractor UK

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Doesn't answer the question anyway...
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...