• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Underfloor Heating

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Underfloor Heating

On the same vein as a recent thread of mine on House Refurbishment.

I am buying a house that needs Central Heating installing, it's a big house (4 Bed Detached) so I reckon a standard installation (gas boiler and about 14 rads) is going to set me back about £8k.

What's the view on UFH as a realistic alternative?

I've been looking at self build so I know the sort of systems about - I wouldn't go for a wet system - would prefer electric UFH (good systems nowadays).

I would still need a boiler for hot water etc

The house only needs decoration and new kitchen other than CH

I'm guessing the cost and upheaval would be prohibitive but would welcome views
    Si posse, recte, si non, quocumque modo rem

Underfloor heating is good in my view.

If I have the oppotunity to build my own/buy a wreck I can do up I would certainly go for it - partly becuase I think most radiators look rubbish.

Comment

Did not you hear that house prices are in danger of imminent collapse?

And given Global Warming you might as well install solar panels to be energy creator rather than energy waster.

HTH

Comment

These guys are always advertising on talk sport

http://www.freeyourwalls.com/
        The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Stayed in a motel in the USA about 5 years ago. It was a cold evening so I looked to turn the heating up, there was no thermostat, no radiators - nothing.

I went off to complain but the office was closed and when I got back to the room the missus said it was getting warmer. The heat was being radiated from the ceiling, a sort of Artexy stippled surface.

Never seen anthing like it before nor since.

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

A loaded mate of ours just had their house built. Underfloor heating all round with each room having it's own thermostat controller.... tremendous stuff. They have tiles in most rooms and wood flooring in others -- with wooden floorboards u need to get special (i.e. expensive) type that has been treated to be temperature resistant.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist
              Stayed in a motel in the USA about 5 years ago. It was a cold evening so I looked to turn the heating up, there was no thermostat, no radiators - nothing.

I went off to complain but the office was closed and when I got back to the room the missus said it was getting warmer. The heat was being radiated from the ceiling, a sort of Artexy stippled surface.

Never seen anthing like it before nor since.

I had a similar experience at a hotel in Chernobyl
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Thanks Guys

I know UFH is good and if (when) I do a self build I will definitely use it.

What I was interested in was views on the feasibility of retro fitting it to a house that needs CH but little else in terms of refurbishment.

Given that a boiler is needed for hot water anyway - would the cost of retro fitting UFH make it a waste of time?

Would there be any other disadvantages?

Comment

Originally posted by Bear
                  Thanks Guys

I know UFH is good and if (when) I do a self build I will definitely use it.

What I was interested in was views on the feasibility of retro fitting it to a house that needs CH but little else in terms of refurbishment.

Given that a boiler is needed for hot water anyway - would the cost of retro fitting UFH make it a waste of time?

Would there be any other disadvantages?
                  If you're putting in a boiler and other central heating anyway, then I wouldn't bother with having a separate electrical system for underfloor heating. Although fitting the pipes is more straightforward, you will usually need a separate ring main to power the system, which often means that what you save on the plumber you pay for with the electrician.

The costs of any UFH system depend (a lot) on what the current floor is like.

If you have a suspended floor then it's relatively inexpensive to fit underfloor heating. But, it would still cost 800-1000 to fit into a single room (because the main costs are in the sensors and control valves, rather than in the pipe itself). If you are in an older building that has a solid floor then you will need to get it dug out and relaid in order to get the pipes in. This adds anything from 500-1500 to the cost (depending on how much needs digging out, and whether you've got structural issues to consider).

With that said, the cost/room falls off dramatically once you've got all the valves and doohickey's purchased, so it makes a lot more sense if you do multiple rooms/have a large surface area to heat. Its also a lot cheaper if you are willing/able to do most of the labour yourself. Polish builders don't come as cheap as they used to!

I'm just doing exactly this in a 16th century cottage with a foot thick concrete floor in one room. Nice.
                  Plan A is located just about here.
                  If that doesn't work, then there's always plan B

Comment

Thanks XL

I guess I can have a proper look when I get in

Comment

Working...
                    X