• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Umbrella and tax returns?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Umbrella and tax returns?

I've been operating under an umbrella for a while now because it suited me at the time but as the climate is about to change I've been looking into setting up a limited so to avoid being flamed for asking silly questions I was reading the first timers section on this board and came across this statement:

"If you have decided to trade through an Umbrella Company you would only need an accountant to prepare your Personal Tax Return at year end, and your umbrella Company should be able to recommend one to you."

What’s all that about? I've been contracting under umbrellas for 3 years and never filled one in yet? Should I be worried?
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Originally posted by gingerjedi
    I've been operating under an umbrella for a while now because it suited me at the time but as the climate is about to change I've been looking into setting up a limited so to avoid being flamed for asking silly questions I was reading the first timers section on this board and came across this statement:

"If you have decided to trade through an Umbrella Company you would only need an accountant to prepare your Personal Tax Return at year end, and your umbrella Company should be able to recommend one to you."

What’s all that about? I've been contracting under umbrellas for 3 years and never filled one in yet? Should I be worried?
    If you traded through a composite (MSC) then you should probably be completing a tax return as your dividend income may be subject to some extra tax.

If you are through a simple umbrella and just getting a salary then it is likely that all your income has been taxed at source.

Alan

Comment

Thanks for that.
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Working...
      X