• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Maoism and forums

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maoism and forums

Heard an interesting programme on the WS today, was about how 'mob rule' takes over and the knowledge of the group is seen as being greater than that of the individual, and how individuals, when protected by anonymity, behave in ways they wouldn't dare if they weren't.

The commentator made a comparision to maoism and how the behaviour is similar, how mean and nasty people can be when they are hidden by 'the group' (or the state) and have no individual reponsibility.

Originally posted by Lucy
    Heard an interesting programme on the WS today, was about how 'mob rule' takes over and the knowledge of the group is seen as being greater than that of the individual, and how individuals, when protected by anonymity, behave in ways they wouldn't dare if they weren't.

The commentator made a comparision to maoism and how the behaviour is similar, how mean and nasty people can be when they are hidden by 'the group' (or the state) and have no individual reponsibility.

Lucy would you have openly attacked your female colleague (to her face) because she wanted to go home to her kids by 6pm? or do you only dare to attack her when you are anonymous?

Comment

Originally posted by SandyDown
      Lucy would you have openly attacked your female colleague (to her face) because she wanted to go home to her kids by 6pm? or do you only dare to attack her when you are anonymous?

You're missing the point, she isn't on the forum.

I was expressing a frustration, not attacking someone who contributes to the forum. (and she leaves at 5.30 btw)

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy
        (and she leaves at 5.30 btw)
        shock shock horror horror

as I said I don't like women who do not understand the predicament of other women !

Comment

Originally posted by SandyDown
          shock shock horror horror

as I said I don't like women who do not understand the predicament of other women !
          It isn't a matter of not understanding 'other women's' predicaments. Her's is not a 'predicament', her husband works away from home five days a week, for a six figure salary, she has a newly extended home, two cars and every material thing going. No. It is not a predicament, it is greed and I have to pay for it.

You might want to open your mind to other people's points of view.

I can't be bothered arguing with you, sorry.
          Last edited by Lucy; 19 February 2007, 18:02.

Comment

I think you'll find that the "success" of Maoism had a lot to do with fear!

Comment

I have been thinking about a similar thing recently. Why do some societies remain so utterly defective although the individuals probably would come out much the same on IQ tests etc. as in effective societies? When they start to go down (UK) why is the decline so rapid with no obvious single causative factor? I am sure it is capable of a simple (like global warming) model.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth
                I have been thinking about a similar thing recently. Why do some societies remain so utterly defective although the individuals probably would come out much the same on IQ tests etc. as in effective societies? When they start to go down (UK) why is the decline so rapid with no obvious single causative factor? I am sure it is capable of a simple (like global warming) model.
                Excessive individualism - The "I'm alright Jack, I'll dump my rubbish in your back yard" attitude?
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth
                  Too many Johnny Foreigner imports... dilutes the gene pool & causes white flight
                  Rights of minorities outweighing those of the majority
                  Minorities not realising that with those rights come responsibilities
                  Loss of capital punishment- no way of keeping the fuzzy wuzzies in check.
                  Wimmin thinking they can 'have it all' (they can't)

No single tipping point - just a series of incidents and actions that undermine the basis of a succesful society.
                  HTH
                  How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll
                    Too many Johnny Foreigner imports... dilutes the gene pool & causes white flight
                    Rights of minorities outweighing those of the majority
                    Minorities not realising that with those rights come responsibilities
                    Loss of capital punishment- no way of keeping the fuzzy wuzzies in check.
                    Wimmin thinking they can 'have it all' (they can't)

No single tipping point - just a series of incidents and actions that undermine the basis of a succesful society.
                    HTH
                    That is scapegoating at it's best. Many of the ethnic minority cultures have what I would call old-fashioned values: hard work, respect for family and education.
                    No, I blame the natives - quite a large minority are feckless and lazy. The spread of celebrity (chav) culture and inappropriate role models has not helped.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                    X