• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I have a big box

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a big box

Well, several medium sized ones really...

Typical removal type stuff... some will be going to Amsterdam, some to Norfolk (no they don't contain Hungarian Turkeys...)... only 4 or 5 of them about 45cm by 45cm by 60cm.... mostly lightweight housey stypes bits and pieces.

Anyone any experience of having a small amount of boxes sent to a UK or Europe location, that does not really warrant a 'man and van' type approach? Some people on other bulletin boards suggested just using Parcel Force or similar... I dont mind when it arrives as long as it gets there in the end...

I weighed my main PC yesterday - 19 Kg (just the base unit!)... Baggage allowance is 25kg so not much room after that.

My cunning plan is to turn up at the airport wearing five pairs of jeans, six shirts and carrying 10kg worth of hard drives / cabling as carry on luggage, my 3 PDAs in my heavy overcoat, and the PC in the Big Black Baggage Thing with duvet and pilows wrapped around it. Oh and the 19" widescreen TFT will be my 'laptop'...

Trouble is, I ALWAYS get called to security about the PC when I shuttle it around, as its a water cooled job that looks on x-rays like a James Bond style suitcase nuke

Ah well, any courier type recommendations that don't cost a fortune would be well received.....
    Vieze Oude Man

try www.postvan.co.uk - they do up to 500kg pallets to europe

Comment

I regular used to do the suitcase holding computer surrounded with pillows and a duvet. Overnight bag as large as allowed with other stuff. Due to the nature of the work and machines just get better all the time, used to just leave in situ/abandon/whatever and claim the depreciation.

Got asked more than once why I was coming home lighter than I set off...
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by mcquiggd
        Well, several medium sized ones really...

Typical removal type stuff... some will be going to Amsterdam, some to Norfolk (no they don't contain Hungarian Turkeys...)... only 4 or 5 of them about 45cm by 45cm by 60cm.... mostly lightweight housey stypes bits and pieces.

Anyone any experience of having a small amount of boxes sent to a UK or Europe location, that does not really warrant a 'man and van' type approach?
        What'S wrong with yourself, a car, and a ferry?
        God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

Why don't you hire a car in the Netherlands, drive to the UK for a long weekend and go back to Amsters with your kit?

Euro Commuter beat me to it!!!

Churchill - In "Showing appropriate amount of deference" mode!

Comment

how come you don't have a laptop ?

fecks sake mcquigg :-)

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by mcquiggd
              Some people on other bulletin boards suggested just using Parcel Force or similar... I dont mind when it arrives as long as it gets there in the end...
              In which case don't use Parcel Force. It's kind of a lottery as to whether your package will turn up at all.
              Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes
                how come you don't have a laptop ?

fecks sake mcquigg :-)

Milan.
                Indeed, have a laptop and less stuff.

Yeah, I'll try that too.
                God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

I have a box, a musical box, wound up and ready to play....ahhhh memories.
                  ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

I have a big sucker.

Comment

Working...
                    X