• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Who should ensure is on your side?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who should ensure is on your side?

During a break a colleague of mine said that one of the things he had learned from his tutor was that to get things done in IT - and no doubt keep yourself in work - you should always ensure you have IT support/systems (the people who manage the servers, install the software) on your side.

My take on this was that the people you want on your side are the 'business', the people sponsoring the project, and the end-users etc who in turn directly report to them.

So what's the vote here?
    the people who approve/schedule the installs, manage the servers
    2.78%
    my boss/line-manager, whatever level he/she is
    13.89%
    the person who signs my timesheet
    27.78%
    my agent
    8.33%
    the end users
    8.33%
    the business sponsors
    13.89%
    as long as I get paid and I find another contract afterwards nothing else matters
    8.33%
    my contractor buddies who might help with another job
    8.33%
    anyone who's a permie
    8.33%

Originally posted by Joe Black
    During a break a colleague of mine said that one of the things he had learned from his tutor was that to get things done in IT - and no doubt keep yourself in work - you should always ensure you have IT support/systems (the people who manage the servers, install the software) on your side.

My take on this was that the people you want on your side are the 'business', the people sponsoring the project, and the end-users etc who in turn directly report to them.

So what's the vote here?

everyone who has any interest in the project should be treated as a stakeholder, this includes team members, business, testers, users etc etc ... my principal: if I treat everyone I work with as if they are my client who pays me, and I should be OK

Comment

the IT Director's PA.
      It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

Originally posted by SandyDown
        everyone who has any interest in the project should be treated as a stakeholder, this includes team members, business, testers, users etc etc ... my principal: if I treat everyone I work with as if they are my client who pays me, and I should be OK
        Unfortunately as you probably know, in life and in large corporations different groups sometimes have different agendas and politics. Each wanting things to be done their way. Sometimes you have to choose.

Originally posted by oraclesmith
        the IT Director's PA.
        That could work out very good, or very, very bad, depending on how bad a boy you are...
        Last edited by Joe Black; 19 February 2007, 21:00.

Comment

Sponsor should be top every time. Once the big cheese is on side the rest (apart from your contractor buddies) can go to hell because they have to do what they are told. That includes whoever signs the timesheet.
          Drivel is my speciality

Comment

I agree with OS.
            IT managers PA. S/he will get stuff done for you.
            Office secretarial staff. Always useful.
            Office cleaners. Good for gossip and they always know first.
            I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
            Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Working...
            X